Plants and Severums..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I'm trying to find some plants that my Severums will leave alone. I'm in need of basic plants that require little to no maintenance. I've always used duckweed and frogbit as I like how it looks and gives cover. I bought enough duckweed to completely cover the top of my 125g and my four Severums ate it all within 1.5 weeks (on top of every other day feedings).

I'm reading Java Fern is left alone by Severums, can anyone vouch for this? Should I add a clay pot and place it in there or tie it to my driftwood? I also read you should use fertilizer after each water change, which fertilizer should be used? Lastly I read it does not need much light. I have two 48" T8 bulbs on my aquarium, one is a cheap daylight bulb while the other is a Hagen Power Glo bulb. I have an automatic timer which kicks on at noon and turns off at 8pm, should I cut that time back?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Java fern is a good plant for severum tanks. Mine left it completely alone after an experimental nibble. You might try java moss also.

Mark

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
if you knew they were eating it why didn't you move it to another tank?not trying to be rude when i said that.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
My days of multiple tanks are long gone. I'm down to this tank and that's how it's going to stay.
yeah sure it is........we all say that but then we always give in.good luck trying to keep it down to 1 tank your gonna need it!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Thanks for the help guys. I picked up an Anubias Congensias and thin leaf Java Fern last night at Petsmart. They only had one of each in the larger sizes so I'm going to give these a try, if they work well then I will pick some more up. I used thread and tied both to separate pieces of driftwood. I also picked up some Seachem Flourish. I hadn't dosed yet as I didn't know if I should still do the full dose with only two small plants. It would be 2 caps for my 125g. I also plan on getting the Flourish Excel if everything goes smooth for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Java fern and anubia must taste horrible. They always seems to be the last to be picked-on. Must be something to do with the super slow growers like these plants are.

Mud, you probably won't need the Flourish and Excel, but it shouldn't hurt. IMO, the twin 48" T8 is perfect for these plants. You could also try some wisteria and/or water sprite (floating or rooted), but that might be questionable with the Sev. I know I had both in my oscar and sev tank and the clumsy goofs would plow through it. I never saw them eat it.

I love severums! They're fun to keep.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
you could like block off a bit of the tank so they could not eat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store