Anyone else ever see this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

merlin4260

AC Members
Apr 19, 2003
Purdue University
Ok, get this. I got up this morning and was on my way out the door to take my dog out. I glance at my tank on the way out the door when I notice something. I look closer and what I see is one of my neon tetras next to the glass, upside down...under about a 1/2 inch of gravel ! I figured it was dead (didn't see any movement) so I went ahead and took the dog outside. Came back to retrieve the fish, and it wasn't dead. Well, not completely, but it might as well have been. Didn't last 15 minutes. What was the deal with it being right up against the glass under the gravel? Anyone ever see this before?

fishlvr

still doesn't have a clue...
Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
maybe you accidently buried it during your last gravel vac? poor thing :(

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Neon

What are the neons tankmates?

I have seen small fish bury themselves at night as extra protection from tankmates many times before.

With fish all may seem well during the day but at night the gloves come off and anything goes.

This also happens quite often with free swimming fry. Usually what happens is the fish buries itself too deep to get out and dies.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Agreed, what are the tank mates? It's even possible he was buried by another fish. I know that my fish get crazy at night. Gloves do come off and anything goes, at least in my 150, the other tanks are okay, but if you have some sort of aggresive cat or something he may have buried him for later. ;)

merlin4260

AC Members
Apr 19, 2003
Purdue University
ehhhh... I don't have anything particularly agressive in the tank. I have 4 angels that are pretty tame, they only pick on each other. I have some gouramis, but again they only really go after each other. None of my bottom feeders are that big either, a couple whiptail cats and and a couple rubber lipped plecos. I haven't noticed any real aggresion from anybody in the tank.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Probably the angels.
What are you thinking keeping angels and neons together? Neons are an angel's natural source of food. Sooner or later they're going to eat them.

merlin4260

AC Members
Apr 19, 2003
Purdue University
What I was thinking is that I bought these angels and tetras when the angels were only the size of a quarter. They are still not big enough to eat them, nor do they even pay any attention to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store