My 20 G Long Blog Warning: lots of pics!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
So, I began about a month ago with just a 20 gallon long tank, purchased at a dollar a gallon sale at the local store.
Using a 3 dollar canister of spray paint, the back of the aquarium was painted.
DSCF1083 - Copy.jpg

Next, I bought a filter.
DSCF1045 - Copy1.jpg

Then I debated on the substrate for the aquarium.Black gravel was chosen since I never did use it.
DSCF1084-copy1.jpg

Finally, the next stop was the hood for aquarium. Pet stores wanted 20 dollars for a glass lid, so I got clever.
So, I cut two boards, painted them black and inserted them on the plastic lip inside the aquarium.
The light strip rests on top.
Easy, eh? I'll just lean the boards as needed.
DSCF1085-copy1.jpgDSCF1086-copy1.jpg

The stand was already in place. I painted it "dragon fire" orange from the store.
Covers up the wood scrathes from the prev. owner.
DSCF1087-copy1.jpg
Tank above is my old ten gallon. The black tank rests on the stand.
Next step is to add water, plants, fish, inverts. etc.
The pictures were re sized by me.
Let me know if they are two big, because I can make them smaller for faster loading.
Thanks for reading!

DSCF1083 - Copy.jpg DSCF1045 - Copy1.jpg DSCF1084-copy1.jpg DSCF1085-copy1.jpg DSCF1086-copy1.jpg DSCF1087-copy1.jpg

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
Watch those boards, I did the same thing and the boards ended up growing mold on the bottoms.
Putting plastic like saran wrap over them to prevent mold could do the trick.
I added two plants, compacta swords about 12" tall each. Amazon swords are what I desire, so the hunt for them is on. The anubias barteri is doing great, 3 small leaves are already showing on the stem.

DSCF1088_1.jpg DSCF1089_1.jpg

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
i just bought the plants so they need to adjust to the tank. besides, i think they look great.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
Adjusting isn't going to make them any smaller, unless they die which in my opinion they will in that tank.
well, i'm thinking that the plants will sprawl along the waterline, like a flower, while still under water. plants are like that, they adjust. but, i'll keep an eyeball on them anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store