got 3 tanks from a friend HELP NEEDed please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aidenb

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2014
Hello everyone

I am new here and this is my first post and it’s going to be a long one sorry.

I could really really do with some help with these 3 tanks that I have I have never had fish before in till about a month ago so now I will go into the story of how I ended up with these tanks

My best friend of 10 years had these 3 tanks and loved them very much I did to and was very interested in them but never fort bout getting one myself. Sadly my friend past away from cancer 3 months ago and so the left his girlfriend looking after them who did not know how to look after them and was scared of them tbh all the did for 3 months was feed them once a day and that’s it no cleaning, water changer nothing at all so one day about a month ago I went down to have a catch up and noticed the tanks did not look good a tall so I sed I will take them off your hands and look after them.

So when I got the tanks home I did a full water change on all tanks and changed the filter media in 2 tanks and got a new filter for the 1 tank.

Anyway I’m gunner get onto what tanks I have and what fish I have in which tank and what equipment I have.

Tank 1

Is a 7L tropical tank which is this one
here this one has 1 male fighter/betta which has white spot/ick in this tank I did a full water change and replaced the filter cartridge (which has carbon in it) with a sponge because I am treating him and did not wont the carbon to remove the treatment from the tank I treated him on Wednesday 15th and I will be giving him the second dose tomorrow.

Tank 2

Is a 24L cold water tank which is this one
here this one has 2 platties, 2 danios and 1 sucking loch I did a full water change and replaced the old filter with a new one (the same one that came with the tank)

Tank 3

Is a 54L tropical tank which is this one
here this one has 2 platties, 2 minows, 2 tetras , 2 rummie nose tetra, 2 female fight/betta, 2 albino corydoray and 1 butterfly pleco this one I did a full water change and replaced all the media with new.

The equipment I have

Net
Gravel vacuum
Algae cleaning sponge
API stress coat/tap water safe (used in all 3 tanks)
API aquarium salt (used in all 3 tanks)
API fresh water master test kit (liquid one which IV bin told is the best one to use)
Interpet Fluval cycle biological enhancer (used in all 3 tanks to kit start the tank after water and filter changer)
Aquarian tropical flake food (used in all 3 tanks)
Anti-white spot treatment (got this for the fighter currently treating him)

I have been told I need to cycle the tanks again because of the full water and media change is this true if so how am I going to do it with fish in the tank?

I would like to know the maintenance I should be doing on all the tanks and what I can do to make the fish feel better in a way I just want to get these tanks sorted and look after them properly.

If there is any more information you need please ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Thank you ever so much for reading

(PS SORRY MY FIRST POST IS SO LONG)

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Seems like you're doing the right things. I would vac the gravel really well initially then weekly 50% WC would be a good routine. Use the master kit daily for couple weeks and do a 50% WC if you see any ammonia.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aidenb

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2014
thank you for reply when the fighter is looking betta i am planning on moving him to a bigger tank that i got and set up on the 15th it is this one here when would i no the tank is cycled so i can move him as i have been told the 7L tank is a lil small is there anything i can do to this tank to make it the perfect enviroment for him as he has been thru a lot i thank

and would it be good to post my results from all my tanks of the master test kit so you can see where i am with the water then can give me advice from there.

Last edited:

aidenb

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2014
must tested my tanks the results are

7L
PH 7.6
Ammonia 025ppm
nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 80ppm

24L
PH 7.6
Ammonia 050ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 40ppm

54L
PH 7.6
Ammonia 4.0ppm
nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 40ppm

22L (this is the new one that was set up on wednesday that is going be the fighter new home
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0.ppm
nitrate 20ppm

can some one please tell me what i need to do for each tank to get it right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store