advice needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i have 6 kuhli loaches,a honey gourami,and a siamese algae eater in my qt.i am having some concerns with my sae and my honey gourami.im gonna start with my concerns about my gourami.he wont come up to the surface to eat the pellets.i have made a few pellets sink right in front of his face and he just sat there and watched them sink.if i move him to my 20 gallon tank after qt is over this saturday will he learn to eat by watching my 5 red eye tetras eat the pellets?

now for my sae.he is only half an inch,so i would like to move him straight to him permanent home my 29 gallon.but i am worried that my 4 inch peaceful female blue gourami might think of him as food.i have no doubt that if she wanted to ,she could fit the sae into her mouth.should i take that risk or not?i could move him to my 20 gallon until he grows to about 2 inches or at least 1 inch if that would help.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok with help from all 3 forums i put this on i have merged then into a good answer.let the sae grow a bit.also to feed the gourami a pea that has been nuked for 30 secs and with no skin,also try flakes and different foods til he likes one of them.

Last edited:

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
i agree with the other posters man. rotate food options for the gourami. as for the siamese algae eater, let him grow a bit before he encounters larger fish.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
that gourami is getting on my last nerve.i tried the food switching.i even went our to walmart and bought some blood worms just for him and he wont eat anything i give him.i cant wait for this saturday so he will learn to eat what every other fish eats.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Try live food, baby brine shrimp, daphnia or scuds. Mosquito larva if you live where it is warm, White worms or Grindle worms work well also. You can get them on Aquabd.com-Live food section

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
How did it go with the Gourami? Did it finally eat?

I have 2 SAE and 3 Gourami in my 29 gall. I drop a few peas, (not cooked or nuked), but I squirt them right out of the skin. The SAE's love them and the gourami.

The SAE's grow fast. Mine were the same size at about 1.5 inches when I got them a couple of months ago. Now one is 4" and the other is about 3".

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
SAEs get too big, at 4 or 5 inches, for a 29g IME & they are never fussy feeders. Gouramis have very small mouths for their size, try small foods-- slice up bloodworms, crunch up flakes etc.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well nothing worked.i even tryed soaking the food in garlic.i even moved all the other fish into a cup and cutting off the filters so he could get to it first and the food would not sink to the ground.i have officially given up on that fish.if he eats then good if he dosent then oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store