Will Cory Catfish Barbels grow Back?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
If I were to move my cories from my gravel substrate tank into a sand substrate tank, will their barbels eventually grow back? :(

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Yay! That is good news. Will it take a while?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've wondered about that as well. I've kept corys in with pea gravel and finer natural gravel and never noticed barbel erosion, but I always kept nitrates very low (~10ppm or less) with 50% wc's at a minimum.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Thank you Fishorama, that was a great article.

My nitrates are always low at about .5 with occasional .10. I think the problem is that I used that black eco-gravel as the base level of my substrate then put smoothed river gravel over that, but during gravel vacuuming it has brought up the rougher eco-substrate to mix in with the regular gravel. I think that's what is doing the barbel damage. Two of my corries have no barbels at all now. I'm setting up a 10 gallon with sand substrate and want to transfer those 2 corries to see if they can recover, but then I worry about the other 3. If I transfer all five into the sand substrate tank, what can I get for my 29 gallon? Will Kuli loaches do the bottom feeding like the corries?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've used Eco for a number of years (8?) with "whiskered", digging bottom feeders, I really don't think that's the problem if you vac regularly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store