Completely New to Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfriend022

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2014
So, I've been considering getting a fish (or two), and I've been trying to research the right way to go about it. As the title suggests, I really have no idea where to start and I want to make sure I have the correct set up for happy and healthy fish! I'm just looking for some very basic guidance. I don't have a lot of money to spend nor do I think I'll become a total expert like you all seem to be, so what would be the best way for me to have a small aquarium? Like I said, I'm only thinking about getting one or two fish (if that even makes sense?), so I guess I'm looking to keep things as simple as possible, while still maintaining the correct environment for fish! I wanted to ask around first and be as educated as I can be, because I really don't want anything bad to happen to the fish just because I was ignorant.

fishfriend022

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2014
Right, I looked through that, but it kind of went over my head. I'm looking for some direction on what kind of tank to get, what kind of fish etc

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Figuring out your fish depends on tank size. A 2 1/2 gal or 5 gal are good starters, although the larger he tank the easier it is to keep the water conditions / quality stable. If you go with either of these you may want to go with subtropical things. If that sounds OK, you can get a sponge filter driven by air, gravel, plants (Fake or real-real easy), chlorine remover a hood with light and live stock.

I'd go with the following: Plants-One clump of java moss This stuff grows in any light and is hardy. Inverts-6-8 Cherry Shrimp. Avoid easy to find Ghost Shrimp. You could also go with a Mystrey Snail, but trust me the shrimp are active and interesting. Fish-1 pair of Least Killies, Tiger Teddies. If you use a heater, 1-2 male guppys depending on tank size, or one pigmy gourami like Sparkling Gouramis.

Personally, I'd go with a 10gal or larger. In a 10gal you can add a heater and do many different things. I'd still do the shrimp-they are just too cool to watch, 4 males guppys or 6 Neon Tetras or 1 male Betta, or 2 female Bettas-different colors of course-or a single Dwarf Gourami or the fish listed above. You could also go with 2 CPO Orange Dwarf Crayfish along with the shrimp or maybe a Mystery Snail.

First advise and most important- DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE AT THE PET STORE! Before you buy do your homework, better yet ask here. Figure out the size tank you want and price out what you need. Craig's List is a great place to conserve your budget for the tank set up. I've made the assumption that you just want to use flake food to limit the hassle, we can tell you what you need when we know what you're thinking of stocking with. If you want to aquascape-landscape purchase some small flat garden stones from the local plant nursery. Don't use colored or dyed gravel or you will likely regret it.

Make sure to cycle the tank, if you read about it and have questions just P.M. me and I'll walk you through it. Best of luck and feel free to P.M. with questions.

fishfriend022

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2014
Ok so I went to the pet store just to see what they had by way of tanks and fish. I don't have a big chain store near me (like PetCo or PetSmart) so it's just a little local shop. Based on the selection, I was thinking about getting two goldfish. It just seemed like the easiest option when the guy at the store was telling me about aggressive semi-agressive etc fish, plus the ones they had at the store were very pretty. They had a 10 gal tank kit and they said they'd be getting 5 gal ones in by the end of the week, and the guy I talked to suggested the 5 gal for the two goldfish, and he said that I don't need a heater for him. Is he right?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ugh.. more horrible pet store owner recommendations. At a minimum, a single fancy goldfish should have ~20gal, adding 10g for every additional fancy. You'd be looking at a 29g tank for two fancies.

IMO, a 20g long is an ideal starter tank. 10's are nice, but the more water you have, the more stable you can keep your water parameters (IMO), especially when establishing your proper nitrogen cycle. Pet store owners typically know nothing of that.

fishfriend022

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2014
Oof. I thought I'd give this pet store the benefit of the doubt, but sounds like they have no idea then. I feel really bad now since they have 3 or 4 goldfish in what looks like a 10 gal tank :/ Ok so I think I'd like to go with a 10 gal tank mostly since from looking around it seems like a 20 gal would be too expensive and I don't think I have that much space, so I guess I'll have to scrap the goldfish idea. Also, will I need to get a stand for the 10 gal tank? I have a coffee table that I was planning on using, but from googling around I see that the tanks get really heavy. Should I consider a smaller tank? Even if it's more difficult it might be better suited to my price point. Are the fish you suggested suitable for a 5 gal?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You're getting ahead of yourself IMO.

I'd first plan on a location for your tank. Near a faucet and a means to dump buckets or run a hose is important for your weekly water changes.

How large of a tank can this area support? Again, a 5-10g doesn't necessarily mean easy. Tiny tanks greatly reduce stocking options and can potentially require more monitoring and water changes than a larger tank.

You need a liquid water parameter test kit to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. An API master test kit can be had for under $30 and will last for years.

Getting a tank setup, running and cycled takes weeks. During THIS TIME do you want to decide what fish to buy.

Mail-order is your friend when it comes to tank stands, lids, lights, filters, etc..... Craig's List is your friend for purchasing tanks if you don't have a Petco or Pet Supplies Plus around with their $1/gal sales.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Welcome fishfriend022 to the hobby and to AC! Sad to say, but in my experience most people who are selling animals don't seem to know a lot about them. Probably someone who just liked puppies or something and decided to start selling pets and supplies. They're not bad people, just not well informed. A few thoughts...

It is admirable that you want to start off right, and you've come to a good place. It really will help make things better for you in the long run. The work up front will make maintenance easier along the way and will make for happier and healthier fish. You've already gotten some good advice about doing that. My primary piece of advice is don't get too uptight or overwhelmed about it all. It's a hobby and it is supposed to be enjoyed. Apart from that, here a few things to help.

Figure out what size tank you want and start there. You'll need some sort of light, a filter that will handle your aquarium size, and a heater if you want to do tropical fish. I would personally recommend tropical if you're not going to have a very large aquarium. More options for you. If you want to stay small (5 or 10 gal), you might consider a single male betta (lots of colorful options) with some shrimp or snails, a small school of tetras (neons, cardinals, etc), or a few fancy guppies.

Get things set up, making sure your water is clean and properly conditioned (by this I mean use something like Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat to neutralize chemicals in the tap water), dial in a temperature that is good for fish you want (probably somewhere 76-80 degrees), and take the time to "cycle" the tank. The cycle post may be a bit complex, but what it comes down to is you need to build up some good bacteria in your tank that will help process the waste from your fish. Otherwise, the water gets toxic and your fish die. You can do this more quickly if you have a friend with a tank or the pet store can give you some filter media or gravel that is in a well cycled tank. You'll basically be bringing bacteria in without having to build it up artificially in the absence of fish/feeding/etc. Once you've done that, add just a couple of fish at a time until you have what you want.

After that, you'll just have to keep up with the quality of your water. You'll want to do regular water changes. Don't empty the tank and scrub it! Just use a cup or hose to take some water out and put clean water back in. Make sure that water is close temperature to what you've taken out, and add more conditioner with it to neutralize those chemicals. A good test kit will help. Also, don't overfeed. This will cause water quality problems and also help algae grow.

That may seem like a lot, but it really is pretty simple. Just take it step by step and don't be afraid to ask questions. You might get an occasional jerk on here who wants to make you feel stupid, but they try to police that kind of stuff. Vast majority of us are happy to answer questions. We all learn together. Best of luck and look forward to hearing more from you!

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
Don't empty the tank and scrub it!
This is a very important thing for new fish owners to learn. It seems like your helping by keeping everything spotless, but the bacteria are what process the waste.

Welcome to AC, there are some very knowledgeable people here, good luck getting everything set up an healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store