Cory Set up Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shadow Song

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2004
Cheshire, England
Visit site
I've had a few different sized set-ups before but when I found a Roma 125 tank and cabinet for £60 I just couldn't refuse so I thought now would be a good time to finally get the cories I've been after :) (tank is 125 litres/30 gallons)
I've just had so much conflicting advice I've got a few things I need clearing up;

I'm going with a fine sand substrate (probably unipac, we'll see what's in stock at the weekend) but how deep does it need to be?

I'm also going to be using real plants as the java fern I bought on a whim seems to have tripled in size in a week, apart from that and anubais nana are there any other low maintenance beginner friendly plants I could use?

In my little 45 litre atm I've got a few platies and a hill stream loach that I was mis-sold but seems quite happy (he's fairly active, fins aren't clamped to his sides, eating fine). I know the platies will go in fine with the cories but would the loach go too or should I change he smaller tank into a better habitat for him?

I'm thinking 6 Peppered cories, 5 platies (maybe my little loach) and possibly some other fish for my final set up

Any other insights or comments would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'll hear about it, but the sand substrate is not necessary but a good choice. I'd go with 2"-2 1/2" deep.

Plants are not my specialty, but I would recommend the java fern, some java moss and some hornwart anchored to the bottom.

Stock is another issue. I'd go with 8-10 Paleatus Corys. These guys have likely been crammed into a small container for a while and feel more comfortable in larger numbers. You could also go with 6 each of two types if one type is small like Skunks or Pandas. 5 Platys should be fine, but remember Platys have a large bio-load for their size. You may be better off with 8-12 male Endlers. I'd go with several color lines on the Endlers. If the Plays are your choice than 2-4 female bettas of different colors or a small school on Neons or Harlequins say 8 would be nice.

As for the loach set him up with clean, flowing water. Not going to happen in the 30gal, sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store