Congo tetras hovering near water surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anouck

AC Members
Sep 17, 2014
I have a 72 gallon tank, it's stocked with
5 Congo Tetras
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
1 Common Pleco
1 Keyhole Cichlid
10 Cory Catfish

I have had these fish for over a month, and haven't had any issues. I haven't added any new fish, but I have added a bunch of live plants. I'm using a Fluval 406 filter. Yesterday night, I noticed my Congo Tetras were hovering near the surface of the water. They have never done that before. I did a 75% water change, but now I'm noticing one of my Bleeding Heart Tetras is doing the same thing. I checked my ammonia and PH levels, and they're fine (0 and 7). I just turned on my air stone (wasn't using it prior to this), but I don't know what else could possibly going on. They all seem to be eating fine.

Help!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Ammonia most likely, break out the test kit. Make sure to take a sample from the bottom or near bottom. Use airline or a drinking straw to pull the sample.

anouck

AC Members
Sep 17, 2014
I tested for ammonia, it was 0. I turned on an aerator I had lying around, and now they seem to be fine. My canister output is below the water level, so it doesn't do much to add O2 to the water, but I thought the live plants would provide enough. Guess not. Too bad, because I really don't like the look of the bubbles. But I suppose it beats fish floating belly up :)

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Is the intake on the canister clear of debris? I had to add a sponge over my intake to stop leaf litter from restriction of flow.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What is your normal water change schedule and how much water do you change? I'm just curious what your nitrate PPMs are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store