German Blue vs. Electric Blue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Going to place an order from MG this week. Trying to decide between German blue and Electric Blue Rams. From pictures, seems like the electric blue has a lot more blue, which I like, but it looks like you might miss out on a lot of the other color variation. Any thoughts on this?

I've never seen the Electric Blue in person. Will I get the same range of colors with just richer blues?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i had an electric for a while before he passed and he had some GREAT color on him.
and also i just want you to know you should not buy shrimp from him.i bought 1 bamboo,6 cherry,5 amano shrimp form him.2 cherries were dead,bamboo was dead,and 1 amano was dead upon arrival.and EVERY shrimp died with in 3 days except for 2 cherry shrimp.and i spent 50 bucks on shipping!lets just hope i dont get in trouble for saying that.

Last edited:

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
well, i had an electric blue ram for a ouple years. they're beautiful but i thought the bolivian rams were prettier. i've seen the german blue rams and they're gorgeous. it's your decision, but to me it's a toss up between the types you want. i would choose german blue as they offer a variety of color against the other, but that's my suggestion only. either way, you'll be pleased with them! the rams are humorous to watch and very pretty.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd save some money and just go with the GBRs. Their colors are spectacular when in breeding condition and I suspect they would be a bit hardier.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
i had an electric for a while before he passed and he had some GREAT color on him.
and also i just want you to know you should not buy shrimp from him.i bought 1 bamboo,6 cherry,5 amano shrimp form him.2 cherries were dead,bamboo was dead,and 1 amano was dead upon arrival.and EVERY shrimp died with in 3 days except for 2 cherry shrimp.and i spent 50 bucks on shipping!lets just hope i dont get in trouble for saying that.
Did you leave feedback on his page here?

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Did you leave feedback on his page here?
I appreciate your concerns, but I do hope you sought to resolve this privately with him before posting publicly like this. MG is a big contributor to this community and I would presume a stand-up guy based on prior interaction. Sorry about your troubles.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for the advise. There is no doubt the electric blue are beautiful, but I've kept the Germans before and loved them. They would spawn regularly (though I never did anything to preserve the eggs and help them make it to fryhood), and their colors were wonderful. One of the things I appreciated most was the variety of rich color, so I suppose I'll stick with them. Saving a few bucks does not hurt either.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Electric blues are the same species as german blues, just a different color morph where they were selected for only exhibiting the blue trait. Of all of the ones I've seen, they have not had any other range of coloration that the regular GBRs have. Mine have a variety of pinks, purples, blues, golds, and blacks. I think the originals are prettier, personally, but if you're that torn, try going for one of each color. If you get them young enough and sexed, they may even form a pair.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
blue, gold and electric blue are all the same species.
the blue rams (dutch , german, czech) are the easiest to sex..tho the differences in sex traits(sexual dimorphism) has crossed into grey area even on the Blue rams.

the electric and gold are impossible to sex until they drop the breeding tubes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store