beginner reef lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

airbrnebkr

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just started my SW tank and would eventually like to build it into a reef tank. I plan on doing this slowly, and as money allows, starting with some live rock and a couple fish and shrimp and working my way up to the corals as experience allows. I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I would like to know what kind of lighting I should look at getting. I want to be able to support a 55 gal. beginner reef tank but I don't have a lot of money (new baby and all). I have done a lot of internet research on this topic but with my limited experience it is all greek to me. I understand the basic principles but would like some more specific info as far as brands and models people prefer. I am thinking a 36" or 48" would work well. Thanks for your help.

p.s. If someone has some lighting they are trying to get rid of for a reasonable price please email me at airbrnebkr@aol.com. I also have another wet/dry biofilter and some pumps for trade value if interested.

Thanks again for the help,
Doug

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
Here are possible lights for you:

Metal Halides(MH) - these are probably the most powerful lights you can have. They look kindof like the heat lamps in restaurants.

Power Compacts(PC) - these are good if you don't want to keep any light-sensitive corals/inverts. If you're doing a full blown reef tank, then these probably won't be your first choice. They look like normal flourescent lights, but they're much more powerful and brighter.

cattlegrid_79

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
Brighton, England
www.altereagles.co.uk
Hi airbrnebkr

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself. I have had FW tanks for ages and am going marine. From the research I have done, it would appear that T5 lighting is my best option. This appears to be sufficient for a wealth of "beginner's" corals in a tank of that size.

My research tells me that PCs give out quite a bit of heat (as do MHs) and, along with MHs, tend to be more pricey. Certainly over here in the UK, anyway.

My conclusion is that I can upgrade to MH (or whatever new technology is out by then!!) when i have more experience and want something a bit more special to look after. And when i have enough money!!!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I want to be able to support a 55 gal. beginner reef tank but I don't have a lot of money (new baby and all).
My neighbor let his reef go to pot after his first kid. Not money, but time. Kids seem to need a lot of both.

I have been lazy about learning about T5s, but they are supposed to be more efficient in usable light per watt. T5s are still somewhat more expensive for an equivalent fixture. The best deals I've seen for PC lights are the corallife fixtures, with independent ballasts and fans: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_aqualight.html

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I have T5's and they're very good, though if you have a deep tank you might well want the punch of halides. PC's aren't really an option in Europe - they're a very minor technology, and hard to buy. The startup cost is high, but bulbs are relatively cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store