So I'm beginning a new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
I'm going to start a 55 gallon tank, a true show tank for my bedroom. It's a semi DIY but I may need some help with stocking so I'm posting this here. I got the 55 gallon tank and a 48" light off craigslist for 25$. I'm not using this light on this tank though, I'll post pictures soon. Oh and the tank was made on June 7th 1993

kennethvargas

AC Members
Oct 15, 2014
Hello Derek, what do you have on mind for this tank? planted? shrimp? low/high tech? iwagumi, dutch, aquascaping, fish?

Regards!

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
Hello Derek, what do you have on mind for this tank? planted? shrimp? low/high tech? iwagumi, dutch, aquascaping, fish?

Regards!
Plants: anacharis (2), amazon sword (1), red ludwigia (2), corkscrew vallisneria (2); fish: tiger oscar (1 maybe 2), freshwater angelfish (2), clown loach (1), plecostomus (1), Australian rainbow fish (3), maybe silver dollars (3); aquascaping: 1" of soil covered by 3/4" of sand, driftwood pieces fairly large; lighting: 24" fluorescent grow lights (2) from walmart (figured why not it's worth a shot at 12$ each), and a 24" blacklight for moonlighting and for viewing my light shy fish; filtration: 70 gallon marineland bio wheel hob filter (will move to canister eventually), powerhead for some water movement, and clearly a nice supply of oxygen from an aerator and a hidden air stone

pretty much everything I wanted to put in it

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm maxed out with a single oscar and severum in a 75g. The only other fish in your line-up that could go in with an O is a group of silver dollars, or possibly a large pleco (which need a huge tank too). The angels, loach and rainbows would get killed by an oscar.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I'd restrict silver dollars to a bigger tank as well, getting so big and requiring a school, and swimming space...

Clown loaches are social, too, so if you do go with any I'd say to definitely get a group.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
RED-BELLIED PACU!!!!!!!! Don't be scurred, brah :crazy: obviously kidding. Obviously.

My previous experience with tiger oscars is that in a year they will need a 55g to themselves, or 75g for a pair. This is one giant fish that you will have for YEARS. The tank always needs at least 10x gph turnover, because they are messy fish all-around. Don't do it. Eventually that 55g won't be enough for one to turn around in.

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
This isn't really a long term tank like a forever tank. I have 2 other 75's I could use but I just wanted to try using a 55 because I like the long, thin footprint. All of my fish at the moment are just babies <4" and my tiger oscar is 2". My plan is to upgrade them to a 100-120 in a couple years before they get massive. And angels are a no because of the fin nipping or because of the oscar? My oscar is actually very social he hangs around my rainbow fish a lot and they're always swimming next to each other, not really chasing each other

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
... And angels are a no because of the fin nipping or because of the oscar? My oscar is actually very social he hangs around my rainbow fish a lot and they're always swimming next to each other, not really chasing each other
Because the oscar is only 2" now and will grow at almost an inch per month rate. Once they grow larger (and even worse) reach sexual maturity, they won't tolerate most other tank mates, sometimes even another O. Of course you do read of the occasional oddity, where they'll tolerate fish they normally wouldn't, but it's not the norm.

Typical oscar tank mates; More Oscars, a group of silver dollars, Severum, Jack Dempseys, other large, feisty/tough cichlids.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store