comet, blister on the jaw

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
What is the size of your tank?
55 gallon

What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
API Freshwater master test kit
Ammonia 0.0ppm nitrite 0.0ppm nitrate 2.0ppm PH 8.2

Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Freshwater

How long the aquarium has been set up?

2 weeks, right not, Tank has been set up for about 7 years with the same comets, had a leak had to re seal, thread http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...high-amonia-levels-filtration-tank-size-help! the ammonia has been stable for a while now, testing every other day

What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
4 Fish, 1 5.5"comet(body not including tail), 2 4" comet(body not including tail), 1 4" common pleco(total leangth)
the comets 7 years, the pleco a little over a year

Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
no fish since the pleco, it was quarantined for 20 days

What temperature is the tank water currently?

Are there live plants in the aquarium?
no

What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
fluval aquaclear 70, two sponges and filter floss, bio media

Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
air pump and 2 air stones

Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
it sits at 90 degrees to a east facing window, but i live in the woods so not a lot of direct light, lights on from 6 to 6 generally sometimes later in the evening

When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
2 days ago 50% water changes, have been doing a lot of them in the last two weeks, 8 in 14 days, vacuum the gravel at every water change

What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
homemade food recipe here http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/DIY_Homemade_Fish_Food_Recipe_Ingredients.html I use tilapia(cooked) and shrimp (cooked) I also add spirulina

What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
one of the comets has a clear bubble or blister on its chin, I haven't noticed this on any other fish, I see no external signs on the others and all of them seem to act and swim normal, good apatite

Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.I have added 1 tsp of salt per 10 gallons to ease osmotic pressure and maybe help out, I have not treated with anything else,

The blister seems clear, its not fuzzy and looks like well a blister. I would like to get this fixed up, and really need some good advice. Thank you in advance for your help. I dont want to just go out and start buying products and dumping them in the tank, first do no harm. any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

fish-bubble-chin.jpg

fish-bubble-chin.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Dermocyctidium maybe? its hard to see in the pic.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
Dermocyctidium........
This is not something that I have heard of before. I will have to look at it closer. At firsst glance it seems lo like most cases of thag the area ground the blister are red or th blister is red. I have bot seen the red on my fish. I will have to look closer at Dermocyctidium though. Tomorrow l have some time.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
Sorry about that last post. typing on a broken phone screen that is very hard to read probably is not the best way to reply.....

What I was saying is that when I did an image search for Dermocyctidium i saw a lot of red blisters and areas that look very inflamed. My comet is only presenting a small blister or bubble, it is white/clear/translucent smooth and besides being there does not appear inflamed. I did start the tank on Melafix 3 days ago.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
I removed the comet from the tank and knocked it out using clove oil. Inspecting what I thought was a bubble or blister it seemed to be a growth or tumor. I removed it with a scalpel and put the fish in a bucket with an airstone, the fish woke up and seems to be ok, there was no bleeding. I have since put the fish back in to the tank and the tank is being treated with melafix and salt. The fish seems ok in the big tank, I hope it does well.

Does anyone know of a guide to fish tumors, I would like to see if I can ID it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store