Is my tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anouck

AC Members
Sep 17, 2014
I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank, lightly planted (even though I do want to get some more). I currently have
- 1 common pleco (about 12" at this point)
- 5 congo tetras
- 5 bleeding heart tetras
- 1 keyhole cichlid
- 6 albino corydoras
- 6 sterba's corydoras
- 6 fancy guppies

Do you think my tank is overstocked? The one thing I don't particularly like is that most of my fish are kind of "plain" looking, except the guppies (and the guppies really don't go with the rest, but I already had them, so I'm keeping them). If it's not overstocked, what could I get that would add some color to the tank? Some cardinal tetras, maybe?

Or should I just accept the fact that I'm all stocked up?

Thanks!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd add seven more bleeding hearts and a dozen cardinals.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
my only concern is the 12" common pleco, in a 72 g tank..

I'd think about rehoming the pleco(I've seen commons well over 12") then re-work the stock.

there are alternative pleco species for the tank.. I keep BN's in mine..

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yeah i was surprised no one said that before you.but yeah there are plenty of good plecos that are better suited for that tank and are more attractive.gold nugget pleco or stary night pleco comes to mind.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
also agree the pleco is adding a lot of bioload....congos can get very pretty once settled into a densely planted tank. I would rehome the pleco, go nuts with plants and add some more congos. I think they would be gorgeous in there. A school of 5 in a lightly planted tank may not be showing off their true colors yet.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
my only concern is the 12" common pleco, in a 72 g tank..

I'd think about rehoming the pleco(I've seen commons well over 12") then re-work the stock.

there are alternative pleco species for the tank.. I keep BN's in mine..
^^^ totally agree - that's a big fish for a 72 and if you decide to continue planting the tank, that *tank* of a fish is just going to bump around into everything probably uprooting stuff in the process, will cramp your design style because you've got to leave enough open space for him, and besides, totally doesn't fit with the other inhabitants of the tank aesthetically. Also, they eat vegetation so he may chew up some plants too. Oh, and they're total poop machines. Lots of waste for one fish. Plants will help suck up some of that waste but I'd go a different route, remove him and beef up your stock with a beautiful school of cardinals, or get about 10 Rummynose tetras, they're the best schoolers in the business imo

I had a common pleco when I first started keeping fish, not knowing how big they got. I ended up buying a 65 gallon for it and still ended up bringing it to the LFS because it got to be 18" and was very prolific with the waste. I have to agree that rehoming the pleco is a very good idea.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
if you love that pleco then you could set up a tank for it.i have heard of people doing that.dont know why but some people love them.the world is full of weird stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store