Bamboo shrimp dying - please help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EcoBittern

Registered Member
Oct 27, 2014
Earlier I turned on the light to discover my Bamboo Shrimp caught in the filter of my tank. It is a very good filter, a stingray, but this is not the first time I have lost fish to it (they have a habit of getting caught behind it). D:
Anyway, I moved the filter but instead of zooming away to hide like he usually does he floated lifelessly to the bottom of the tank and just lay there, deathly pale and with an injury on his side.
I assumed he was dead and went to move him but he tried to swim away, quickly swimming all around the tank and going up the glass, etc. I thought he might be able to make it so prepared some liquifry for him, which he normally loves, but to no avail. He swam off into a plant and I turned the light off.
Quite a few hours later, I came back, turned on the light, and discovered him lying on the floor of the tank, even paler than before. Normally he'd swim for cover when I turn the light on but he didn't. My cory cats keep investigating him but he doesn't even move. Just now the water current moved him slightly so he's now lying on his side.
I know it's almost certainly too late to save him now but is there anything I can do to help make him more comfortable? I have a peaceful nano tank with a quiet betta that probably wouldn't bother him, so if I put him there he'd be more likely to die in peace and not be eaten by cories, but I'm not sure if picking him up and moving him to the next tank will stress him out more? I just have no idea what to do, so if you have any advice I would be extremely grateful.
Just one last thing, is there anything I can do to the filter to prevent things like that from happening again? I have had several small fish swim behind it and get caught before now, and while this may be because they went there to die they may well have got caught. If you can suggest anything I would be most grateful, I really am at a loss of what to do.
Thank you for reading this, I'll keep you posted about what happens.

image.jpg

Last edited:

EcoBittern

Registered Member
Oct 27, 2014
Oh, and also, before anyone asks, the rest of the tank is fine. Same water quality as always, no spikes or fluctuations. Everything in that tank is peaceful and he has never been harassed, and no fish show signs of fungal or bacterial issues. He never acted ill before now - I have had him for a few months now and he shed his skin at a normal rate, ate properly and displayed brilliant colours. He's on his back now, I really am worried. He's probably dead but I don't want to try and move him yet because he may still be alive and it could freak him out, I'll leave it for an hour or so and then try to gently move him.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
You should list the water parameters. (ammonia-NH3/NH4, nitrite-NO Nitrate-NO2
also list tank size and tank mates.
not a bad idea to include other details(tank maint schedule etc)

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
All else being ok with the tank, I would say the move may be more stress than it needs (possibility of differing water perams, temp, new surroundings). Don't know a lot about shrimps, but normally a recently injured critter will not eat much if at all. To avoid issues in the future, you can get a piece of filter sponge and cover the intake. It will catch most larger pieces of junk, so will need to be cleaned during maintenance. Just remember when you take it off, the loss of suction will cause all that stuff to fall back into the water. Use a fine mesh net to cover it before removal, then swish the sponge in the old water bucket. You will still loose some smaller particles, so run the filter without the cover for a few before you put it back, then swish the filter itself in the bucket with the old water.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
poor guy, he sounds pretty injured. I would leave him be. Chasing around and catching seems to panic shrimp the most. You gave him a good home and you care about him, and these things happen....it is sad so i'm sorry it happened.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
:( I lost fish to an old tetra filter this exact same way. I sympathize.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
I recently lost a snail to being sucked into the filter, Its not nice knowing there's not much to do to help. I cut a hole in a piece of aquaclear sponge and put it over the inlet, It works very well and my shrimp feed off of it, so i know it will not trap them or injure them. It isn't very pretty though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store