CSI Aquaria Central : Who's my killer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
Allright guys,don't know if there is a sub forum for this so I'm going to start it off.. It could be a place for people that have dying fish and need to find a culprit

Water parameters are all ok. So water quality is not the issue.
3year old established tank. (my 65G)

I introduced 2 weeks ago.(after quarantine)
6 small Tiger barbs (1 inch)
4 platys
1 swordtail
2 golden gourami (4 inch)

I had already :
2 Glass cat fish (3 inch)
2 Yoyo loaches ( 3 inch)
1 pleco that looks like a galaxy but isn't ( I forgot what kind it was )
a couple of tetras....and some otos.

never lost fish before 2 weeks ago

CSI: I lost 2 platys, my 1 swordtail. I found them eaten at the bottom of the tank. not floating around dead. (shock/disease etc)
Today, I lost one of my gouramis, now this is really weird because they are the beefiest fish in the tank and I can't even find it... it's gone, nothing remaining. ( It did not jump out of the tank)

Now who is the killer(s)?
I find my Yoyo loaches are chasing fish sometimes.. but never seen an attack...
Is it them?
Is it the tiger barbs?

Thanks
edit: It's yoyo loaches, no queens that I have

Last edited:

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
I've been reading on yoyo loaches going rogue.. and since I only have two,I know he chases around the other loach often since he wants to be the dominant one, they have been together for 3 years.
I might put my tiger barbs in my 30g and see how things go.
But I have noticed my loach chasing the barbs and gourami a couple of times in the past hour... ( I wonder what's going to happen when the lights go out...)

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
the gouramis can be aggressive...if they attacked the other fish it may just be circumstantial evidence that someone on the bottom ate the corpses. (trying to be all CSI here). Maybe the one gourami then killed the other one? Although I don't know how it disappeared. Sometimes a fish corpse is hard to find though. On the other hand it sounds like the loaches are chasing other fish around. They haven't been killing fish before this though, right?

Tiger barbs usually just nip, at least in my experience. 6 is enough to keep them from being too bad usually.

Maybe not super healthy fish to begin with? How is your LFS?

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
the gouramis can be aggressive...if they attacked the other fish it may just be circumstantial evidence that someone on the bottom ate the corpses. (trying to be all CSI here). Maybe the one gourami then killed the other one? Although I don't know how it disappeared. Sometimes a fish corpse is hard to find though. On the other hand it sounds like the loaches are chasing other fish around. They haven't been killing fish before this though, right?

Tiger barbs usually just nip, at least in my experience. 6 is enough to keep them from being too bad usually.

Maybe not super healthy fish to begin with? How is your LFS?
Nope the loaches never bothered my other fish in the past.

Concerning the gourami,I tried finding it everywhere,lifting my driftwoods etc and nothing.. it didn't go through my powerhead or my filter cause they have a foam on the intakes.

I have been shopping around 2 LFS, and this one always seems to cause me issues.. but I was usually attributing it to stress of the new fish or just some weak ones because it apparently is a well praised LFS.
I have a 10g QT tank that I put my fish in for about 2 weeks before I drop them in my 65g... maybe I should wait a little longer next time.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
could be (since they were all new fish you lost) simply the stock.

this happens quite often and is not a problem with you current tank.
(happens to the best of us) many issues with new fish may not show up till 2-4 weeks after you get them sometimes even longer.
I QT a minimum of 4 weeks before I risk any of my current stock.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
could have been eaten after they died... not a cause of death, just an easy meal once dead.
THIS...was my first thought...I wouldn't be surprised if your fish could pick another clean quickly after it had died. I've seen my bn pleco straight grab and run with a dead fish once. It was my really old betta, Rosy, and it pissed me off :hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store