What kind of plants could I grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hey all, I am looking to set up a low tech planted aquarium of 120 gallons. 4x2x2 feet.
The tank is 24" deep and I will be using a 48" long LED light
TRUE 660nm intensive photosynthesis RED LEDs
(180) 7000k + (96) 660nm RED + (12)

That is the description of the light. From what I can guess its in the medium range between high and low lighting, I have never had much luck with plants before but this time I will be specifically stocking with fish that won`t bother the plants,

So my question is, what kinds of plants could I grow in that sized aquarium with that amount of light? and how many hours a day should I have the light on?

Thanks

kennethvargas

AC Members
Oct 15, 2014
Hello Rafini, definitely your light is just for fish or for low requirements plants, you can add some anubias, Ferns even bucephalandras, also use some wood and rocks to decorate, you don't need a rich substrate for this plants.

Anubia petite, A. gracilis, A. minima, A. barterii broad leaf
Java fern, narrow leaf, windelov, bolbitis, borneo etc.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

you can "google" for some example images, remember that it should look as natural as possible.

8 hours a day, 20% water change weekly is all you need.

Regards!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
wow thanks that is a perfect answer, I don`t want to really do anything over the top.

Would valisnera also count as a low light plant?

I am curious as to when you can add plants during the cycle process? I moved this weekend and all of my fish were killed by a heater malfunction so instead of just setting up my tank again I am redoing it. I currently have a lot of driftwood and rocks to add aswell as a substrate of mixed filter sand and gravel (75% sand 25% gravel)

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys, I will be setting the tank up in the next few days so I will update some pictures when I get some plants in there

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
If you will be cycling with fish, having plants in during the cycle will consume some of the ammonia which will be better for the fish. If you have not gotten a new heater, I would look into 2 (or maybe 3 with this large a tank) undersized heaters that will total a bit over your needs. This way if one fails off, the other(s) can keep it at least close to optimal until you get things resolved. If one fails on, the other(s) will not come on as much and you wont cook your fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not too sure on LEDs but, vals are not high light plants, medium is fine. There also many crypts that can work (the leaves may "melt" at first but should regrow if roots are healthy).

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
yeah as far as I have known Valis are supposed to be relatively low maintenance and easy to grow without special lights.
What is the latin name for crypts?

Yeah I was thinking of adding fish and some plants to begin the cycle. My filter after many years stopped working so I have to wait until saturday to get a new filter to begin my cycle.

I am currently using an Eheim Jãger 300w that I had x2 on my 225 which I have now stopped using so I'm okay in the heat department.

My malfunctioned heater was malfunctioning in the tank for a while before. the tank always felt really hot to me but hte fish were thriving and I kept it well aerated, when I moved that same heater into a little rubbermaid it just killed all the fish overnight.

Currently my tank water dosnt feel warm to the touch, which is normal right? its set to the correct setting but I don`t have a thermometer in there. The orange light was on during the set up (submerged of course) so I am sure the heaters working fine, I`ll pick up a thermometer with my filter on saturday. I`m buying one rated for 175 gallons because I`d rather overkill than underkill with a 100 gallon one.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
cryptocoryne is the genus, many kinds could grow well, wendtii (several cultivars ie red, brown, mi oya, etc) are common, 4-8 inches tall. Spiralis, retrospiralis & balansae have longer narrow leaves; parva is tiny. IME, all crypts are good!

I'm not sure I'd call vals exactly low maintenance, once they start to grow well, they send runners everywhere, lol. But the runners are fairly easy to pinch or cut off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store