Breeding Shrinp HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Hello Everyone!

I just setup my tank, how I have been wanting it for a while, and now I need help with the shrimp. I would love to be able to breed them. I know the reproduce like rabbits and that's just what I want, but how? I have made two diy breeder nets just for this and I have had two females have babies but that was because they were about to when I bought them. Here is my tank http://youtu.be/NZoRqMwkfBc If you go to 2:02 that is my tank all set up. Is there anything I can add or remove (within reason) to help these fellas?

The tank is 29gal
I have ...
1 gold gourami
7 tetra (unsure what kind)
1 German blue ram
2 Bolivian rams
3 emerald cory catfish
1 spotted catfish
1 Rubberlip sucker (not sure of the right name)
3 zebra danio

java fern
wistera
water fern
anubias
moss ball
crinum calamistratum

low lighting
1 24in 15watt T8
1 18in 15watt T8

temp between 75-80 F
my filter is a Marineland penguin 350c (up to 70gal)

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
these are the ghost shrimp from the other post. and the netting is made of pantyhose so they shouldn't get out I hope if they do its ok but id rather they dont

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Ghost shrimp babies need to be born in salt/brackish water to survive. While they might be born in fresh water they will not live very long... I have heard of a few instances where they did grow somewhat but they most likey wont survive in regular fresh water.

If you want to try your hand at breeding some shrimp pick up a handful of cherry shrimp. they will breed like crazy in nearly any freshwater conditions.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Originally I was going with cherry shrimp but they all died within minutes of being introduced to the tank and then my fish got ahold of them before I could remove them... any reason 5 cherry shrimp would die within minutes but 15 ghost shrimp are thriving

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Shrimp require really good water quality. And the stress of being around so many large fish can also kill them. The livestock already in your tank is not conducive to having a shrimp colony. Ghost shrimp are larger and hardier than neos (cherry, etc) and like it was said above, the babies cannot survive in fresh water.

My advice is if you really want shrimp, get a shrimp only tank and if you have to have fish in it, only add some ottos or micro-rasboras (boraras sp.). Change the water at least once a week, make sure you have caves and tubes for the shrimp to hide in after they molt, and you should be fine.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I concur a shrimp only tank is the way to go. The information on the Ghost Shrimp is correct, larva will not survive in fresh water. Breeding the Ghost Shrimp is a significant project and in my opinion not worth the trouble. The Red Cherry Shrimp will produce like crazy in a 10gal with gravel or sand bottom, PVC pipe sections, Java Moss or fake plants and a large sponge filter. Some dwarf crayfish would work in the larger tank if you added a little flat stone area in back the length of the tank. Place the stones so there are as many cracks and crevasses as possible. You could even put a few pipe sections on the bottom hidden from sight.

If you just have to have a few fish Least Killies work well. They are too last to chase shrimp so they don't pick off many.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store