1 Canister Filter for 2 4 Gallon Cubes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alecmerkel

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am looking to get 2; 4 gallon cubes a them. They are for really nice male bettas. Would it be possible to run 1 maybe 10 or 15 gallon canister filter on both tanks, with a simple Y splitter on the intake and outtake lines. The tank are not going to be parallel to each other. They will be one on top of the other and the canister will be under both. I have read a bit about this and heard that I risk on tank overflowing and one tank running out of water.

Is this a serious risk if I have enough power to compensate. If I go with a 15 Gallon filter I would suppose that the power would be divided equally and I would get 7.5 per tank which is a bit overkill, but I am guessing better safe than sorry.

Any insight on this from previous experiences or anyone that has successfully done this?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Never tried it, but you would need a perfect balance to avoid the problem you talked about. It's not about how much "power" you have. It's path of least resistance. Say something were to obstruct the intake of one tank. The pump will still suck up the same amount of water overall, only now it will be getting it all from one tank. Now the tank with the obstructed inlet will still be getting its normal outlet volume and overflow. The other tank will be removing twice as much water as it was before, and still only getting it's original inlet volume, and will eventually run all but dry. I'm sure there is a way to use float valves of some sort to create a safeguard, but at that point it becomes overcomplicated and cost prohibitive. Further, in the chance one tank has an issue such as an illness, both will be affected.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
I'm a fan of building new things and innovating but this seems like it could be very dangerous to try. The problem could be solved but it depends on how much time money and complications. Your willing to deal with to get one filter on two tanks that won't spill out in your house and kill one or both tanks. If your going to do it I would do very thorough testing on whatever setup you come up with for several weeks, blocking intakes putting a lot of solids thought the pipes anything g and everything that could go wrong before you ever put fish in it. This is one of those things where there is a much simpler solution..... Two filters

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

alecmerkel

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2014
Hmmm,

Any recommendations for some good small filters that I could hide. I hate those dreadful hang on filters. I'm looking for something that I can connect some nice clear lily pipes to to make it as clean as possible.

I know the space is limited. =/

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Small submersible powerhead filters? Basically a powerhead with a media section attached at the bottom. I use one in my 10 gallon for secondary, but would probably do fine by itself. I don't know what brand mine is. Its a cheapo with no markings. About 2"x2"x4", adjustable flow rate, also came with another section that housed a carbon filter that I don't use, would have added another 2 inches to the length. I put it horizontally in the back with some decor in front, and other than the cord which is ran right along the corner, you never see it. I have seen other ones simmilar to it at my lfs.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd get a small canister for each tank...a small Eheim Ecco or its analog would work. The tubes can easily be adapted to lilly pipes.

Mark

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah the only way I know of to run more than one tank on one filter is to have the tanks in series with the intake in one and the return in the other with exchange between the tanks completing the flow cycle. There are two ways to pass the water between the tanks, one is with a siphon between the two tanks at the same level and the other is to have an overflow like you would use with a sump setup.

alecmerkel

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2014
So I'm going to attempt to do this using a sump tank :-/

I really wanted to avoid using a sump but meh. I'll post an update with a DIY guide if it works. Gonna try to run it for 1 week to see how stable it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store