Flying fox or SAE?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

Ive been having a pretty serious BBA outbreak in my tank, its been immune to my blackouts and water changes. So I read about how most people take care of the problem, the majority say to get Siamese algae eaters. Its said that they love BBA and eat it like its going out of style. So I headed over to my LFS, picked up a few, dropped em' in expecting them to make quick work of the algae. Its been a few days since Ive had them in the tank, and it seems like they couldnt are less about the BBA. Zero interest in eating it. So I was wondering if I got genuine SAE, or the similar looking flying fox?

take a look;

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Not a flying fox. A flying fox has a gold stripe on the top edge of the black stripe. That is a true Siamese Algae Eater there.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, looks like SAE to me. I've got three in my 55g. They graze on the substrate, decor and plants all day, but they are total hogs at feeding time. They'll pig-out on any fish food. With nothing else to eat, I'm sure they'd eat the BBA eventually.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Looks like an SAE to me - I was having the same problem as you and I honestly didn't expect the SAE to do anything but gave it a shot. Well, the first week I immediately noticed he DID nibble on the black beard algae pretty much right away. He'd go after it. But his little rapid fire nibbles didn't seem to do much when he was eating it. Like, didn't look like it was getting mowed down. Figured, eh, I knew it wouldn't work.

Then last night I'm looking at my tank, specifically the heater which was getting covered up around the thermostat dial... all of the sudden I noticed, there's barely a splotch of BBA on it! Then I look at the Anubia... hardly any there either and they're throwing of new chutes, then I glance at my giant upright driftwood which was thick with it... and that's been SERIOUSLY reduced! I wanted to pull the little bugger out of the tank and give em' a little scratch on the head and a belly rub! haha he is mowing through this junk! 72 gallon tank ONE SAE on a mission!

All in all, I'd say it took about 1.5-3 weeks somewhere before I saw results. I can't remember exactly when I got him. Loving this fish though. Stick with it!

edchoy

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I brought 2 that looks exactly like that from a LFS and they told me they were FF. They look like SAE to me so I bought them anyways. I will know better when grow bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store