How long can I keep my fish/plants in bags / Stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
I have a four hour drive from my college to home and I'll have to take my tank home for Thanksgiving. Will everything be fine in a bag for 5-6 hours? I have a betta, four cardinals, five pygmy cory cats, an otocinclus and an ADF. For plants I've got a java fern and will be getting some moss this weekend.

On a side note, I believe I've fallen pray to unintelligible/deceptive LFS workers. I thought I could trust him since he seemed to know what he was doing; knew about cycling and stuff, at least, unlike many of those others write about. Whenever I went in I ended up talking to him for an hour or more, but when I questioned him about stocking (the current fish I listed above are in a 10 gallon, 125GPH filter) he said that I had "plenty of room" for more fish, claiming that live plants increase the amount you can keep in a tank. I started to become skeptical when he said the 10 gallon was too big for a betta and suggested a few tanks UNDER 1 gallon. I'm thinking about applying for a job at this store by the way, since it's really close and I'd love to learn more about fish and other animals. I really want to be able to trust him-- he claims to have been keeping fish since his childhood days and he's probably in his mid-late 20s.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Any help is appreciated!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
5-6 hours in a bag is OK. I would put a drop of prime in each bag just in case. Is more important to keep the bag warm (not hot).

The plants should go in a bag with no water.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
5-6 hours shouldn't be a problem.

personally I'd add some polyfilter to the bag(s) as a safeguard... and fast the fish for a couple of days before the trip too

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
That isn't a great stock mix for a 10 gallon tank...

How long is the break? Why not leave them there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store