Am I overstocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
I believe I've fallen pray to unintelligible/deceptive LFS workers. I thought I could trust him since he seemed to know what he was doing; knew about cycling and stuff, at least, unlike many of those others write about. Whenever I went in I ended up talking to him for an hour or more, but when I questioned him about stocking (the current fish I listed above are in a 10 gallon, 125GPH filter) he said that I had "plenty of room" for more fish, claiming that live plants increase the amount you can keep in a tank. I started to become skeptical when he said the 10 gallon was too big for a betta and suggested a few tanks UNDER 1 gallon. I'm thinking about applying for a job at this store by the way, since it's really close and I'd love to learn more about fish and other animals. I really want to be able to trust him-- he claims to have been keeping fish since his childhood days and he's probably in his mid-late 20s. I, like many new fish owners I presume, want to fit as many pretty little things in my tank as I can, but if there's too much in my tank already I'd like to prevent stressin' out my fish. Thanks in advanced for any help!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Where is the list of fish you have in the tank?

Most folks will consider a 10 gal the smallest to keep a betta in...

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Sorry! Copied and pasted this and forgot that part. I have a betta, four cardinals, five pygmy cory cats, an otocinclus and an ADF. For plants I've got a java fern and will be getting some moss this weekend.

I had read online before that anything under a 5 gallon for a betta would do nothing but stress it, and that they do well in 10 and even 20 gallons. I have another tank that I can't set up right now, but I just want to know what I can or can't do in terms of stocking.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd lose the ADF....caedinals might nip the beta's fins....and the otto should only be in a vary well established tank...

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
All right, I'll keep that in mind. The cardinals seem to be fine with the betta (though some barbs I had in before were nipping at him) and the otto has been fine since I got him (about a week ago), but I'll keep an eye on both of them. I'll consider moving the betta and ADF into a 5 or 10 gallon of their own when I can.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How long had the tank been established before adding the otto?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ottos survive better on a tank that has enough biofilm for them to live on...many folks don't introduce them to a tank that is less than a yr old

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Well then, that seems to be another example of my LFS talking me into buying something. I asked about them because I was curious and ended up leaving with one after hearing about how great it would be in my 10 gallon tank.

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
This LFS guy is really misguided! Less than a gallon for a betta? I would put a betta in nothing under 10 gallons. I have a sorority of 7 female bettas in a 55, it's also a community tank, and you should see them darting about! They love all the space, so no one can tell me bettas are happy in small tanks. They WILL be active in a bigger tank. I've rescued many over the years, and they really show their appreciation in so many ways. They give me such joy. I had a sorority in a 20 gallon, but if you have one betta that is more "assertive" than than the rest, then 20 gallon might be too small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store