New fish tank. Stocking ideas.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
My wife just got me a 36 gallon bow front for my birthday. It will be a little while before I've got it set up.

I'm thinking of doing a planted tank, not heavily planted as I have never done one before. In fact this will be my first tropical tank. Is just gravel a good substrate or should I use something different. What about sand?

My wife likes neon tetras and Molly's. What Sort of numbers should I be looking at. There would also be some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail or two. Or could I get some kind of ciclid( I don't know what) and keep a school of tetras with it?

I might be doing a 3d background, I've been looking at a lot of the how tos on here and YouTube, its incredible what people make. Sobige for quite a bit of time before I get that dobe the water cleared and then cycled before any fish get put it but I would rather know that I choose a good community than to goof up in some way. Off to hit the books!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool burfday gift!

If you want to keep it simple with plants, java fern, anubia and floating wisteria and water sprite are great choices in my opinion, and couldn't care less what type of substrate you use. Ordinary gravel is fine. If at some point you want fish that spend lots of time at the bottom and normally would sift through substrate, sand or very fine substrate is better.

A nice group of 15 or so neons or better yet, cardinal tetras would be great. Mollies are cool, but like any live-bearer, can overpopulate easily if you keep males and females.

There are some neat, smaller, good natured cichlids that you could keep in there too. Lots of time to decide. First have to decide on a tank location conducive to easy weekly water changes, decide how you want to set up, cycle and eventually stock.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
My wife just got me a 36 gallon bow front for my birthday. It will be a little while before I've got it set up.

I'm thinking of doing a planted tank, not heavily planted as I have never done one before. In fact this will be my first tropical tank. Is just gravel a good substrate or should I use something different. What about sand?

My wife likes neon tetras and Molly's. What Sort of numbers should I be looking at. There would also be some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail or two. Or could I get some kind of ciclid( I don't know what) and keep a school of tetras with it?

I might be doing a 3d background, I've been looking at a lot of the how tos on here and YouTube, its incredible what people make. Sobige for quite a bit of time before I get that dobe the water cleared and then cycled before any fish get put it but I would rather know that I choose a good community than to goof up in some way. Off to hit the books!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
well with sand you will have to use root tabs well that is if you go with stem plants.if you want to go with stem plants then gravel will be best.
neon tetras you could do a school of about 15-20.with the mollies i am not sure if you will be able to have any ghost shrimp,cuz they will eat them if they fir in their mouths.may i suggest their cousins?that would be the platies and guppies.mystery snails are good but you will need to give them a way to get calcium for their shells.cuttle bone has good reviews.cichlids their are a good number that you could keep a ram would fit the bill.well dont trust what people put up on you tube.some of the people have bad tanks that look good but will have troubles down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store