Total tank cluster and velvet concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealJobe

AC Members
Oct 11, 2014
Hello all,

I added 5 gold neon tetras to my first tank (55gal) at what I thought was the end of the cycle process.
My ammonia was quickly zero'ing out and my nitrItes were low, but suddenly they suddenly shot up and my NitrAtes simultaneously got pushed well over 40.

The day after taking that reading I noticed one fish darting and head ramming (not side rubbing) one end of the tank. Additionally, none of the fish seemed to be interested in eating as they had the previous two days.They would grab food, take it a few inches under the surface and spit it out.

So I thought I better do one healthy 30% PWC ASAP.

Immediately after doing the water change I noticed all my fish hanging out higher than usual, about 3 inches below the surface. There was no rapid gill, no gulping at the surface, but I was concerned, so I took more readings (hour after the PWC) Ammonia was at .25, Ites at 2, Ates at 20. Not knowing what to make of it I upped my airpump, and the fish returned to their mid to low swimming area about an hour later.

Then I started googling the ramming, darting, and surface dwelling. Now I'm paranoid my fish have velvet.
Although all the odd behavior has stopped (except maybe eating will find out tomorrow) I took a close look the fish, which are again gold neon tetra (meaning I can see through them) and I noticed the following:

They all seemed to have a gold streak above each eye (think this is normal?)
They all seemed to have a pearl essence sheen on their fins
They all seem to have what appears to be a couple of very small specks of gold essence on their body -- I think this could be velvet, or is this why they are called neon gold tetras?
Finally, I don't see a consistent dusting of any type across any of them -- so this makes me doubt its velvet.

Anyway I feel like human garbage cause I really tried my best, but now may be failing at the cost of their lives.

Any advice would be appreciated.

As far as pictures I've been too dumb to figure out how to get a good one...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store