Free Fry Food - It is in the yard!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Like many others, I use dried Oak leaves in my shrimp, crayfish and natural fish tanks. I discovered this trick with my betta and used it on gourami spawns as well. With the bettas, I introduce the male into the breeding tank two to three days before I add the female. As soon as I add the male I take one submerged Oak leaf from my shrimp or crayfish tanks and place it into the setup. I then continue with the sequence of adding the female in a clear container after the males has been there two-three days. In a few days when they are done spawning, the water will likely be slightly discolored, if not don't worry, and once free swimming you can observe the fry feeding on micro organisms. Same works for gouramis, just add the leaf when the breeders are introduced. I've also found that adding two-three resident ramshorn snails makes a huge positive difference as well.

I also use antaxanthin powder mixed with water helps stimulate the micro organisms and the fry consume it as well. These two things have totally replaced green water, I used green water for over 20 years and this is much more successful and easier. P.M. me if you have questions and good luck.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Just a follow up: I spawned two different pairs and using the above method and have several hundred hardy, developing fry. It works better than I thought. Also you can get the antaxanthin powder at Ken's Fish cheaply.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. I'm going to assume that the powder isn't necessary to using this method since micro organisms will be present with out it. How many times have your fish spawned since you started this method ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I used this 2 1/2-I split the first batch into to tanks. The powder is a high grade protein algae and the fry flourish with that and micro critters.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Can the antaxathin powder be used similarly to Hikari first bites and just added to the tank in tiny amounts? Is it similar in grain size?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'm not familiar with Hikari products. It is the consistency of baking flour. I mix a tiny bit in an ounce of water and dropper it in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store