Breeding Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have been breeding Angel fish for quite some time and I have been very successful at it. I've owned Electric Blue and Gold Rams for some time and have been reading about them. From what I have been reading the breeding process is simular to Angels. My Rams have bread on a flat rock many times. In the begining I tried to let the fish take care of the eggs but that didn't work. The last two times, I took the rock out after several hours. The eggs were always covered in water, when moving them. A day goes buy and both times all the eggs have turned white (Fungus). I can't even get to the next stage where the black eyes should appear. The water I use is from the original tank with a little bit of fresh water and I keep the temprature at 82 degrees. When I test the water every thing is perfect except for hardness that is very high. How many drops of Hydrogen Peroxide should I be using per gallon? I started out using one drop per gallon and changed to 10 drops per gallon, neither one worked. I would love to be successful at breeding Ram's, if anyone can tell me why I am getting fungus on my eggs I would appreciate it.
Thank You!
Bonnie

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
hard to say what the issue is

possible the eggs were never fertilized.

is there much water flow in the tank with the rams?? I've found that open spawners have some issues with flow causing fertilization issues.

I have several pairs the most successful ones actually spawn in areas of low flow.

the problem I have is they eat the free swimmers after 3-5 days of free swimming.. they are not in a breeding tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Best quess is that the eggs were never fertilized from the begining. You may need to find another pair. I use to breed them when I was young, From my experience they need very warm water, 82+. I use to keep the rams in very soft and very low PH (about 6.2) water.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Thank you for all your help. I was looking at my Ram spawn to day with a magnifying glass. I can see there are some really small wigglers, but most of the eggs have white fungus on them. This tells me that they where fertilized. I am thinking that maybe I should have put more drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in the water, Like 10 drops per gallon, All I put was 10 drops in a 5.5 gallon tank. to keep them from terning white. The fry I see are so small, I don't know how I am going to clean the tank with out losing them. Is there away to speed up the groth so I can take care of them better? I am feeding them infusoria. I hope this works.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Like I said, I have not bred them in years, but... I use to feed them baby B-shrimp and micro wroms from the start. I even fed them dry "baby-fish" food. I would cover the hose with a cloth when I did water changes. I also poured the new water in slowly.
My filters where sponge filters back them.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
One of the issues with hard water for fish that come from soft water is that their eggs outer shell can harden up before they can get fertilized. Softer water slows that process down so there is more time for the eggs to be fertilized. Generally hard water is ok for most of the "soft" water fish except during egg fertilization for this reason alone.

It is why rainfall is a spawning trigger for some fish, because the influx of softer water increases breeding success chances.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
wigglers aren't going to need food.

after 3 -4 days they becoe free swimmers and then begin the hunt for food , infusoria is often their first choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store