I Need Advice =P

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pin2xbo

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2014
Hello All!

I live in Los Angeles and just started my freshwater (tropical) fish tank. I'm starting with a 10gallon kit which I bought from craigslist. It came with tank w/ LED hood, Topfin 10 filter, heater, digital thermostat. So far these are the items I added to the tank:

Sand substrate (from playground, washed till almost clear)
Rocks (from.. somewhere, road-side; washed)
Plastic plants (Petco)

Here is how it turned out: what do you think?
IMG_20141102_190747.jpg

Planning to add:
Marimo Moss ball
Malaysian Trumpet Snail
Mystery Snail
Cherry Shrimp

Should I add those first? Or Fish first? Any good recommendation for Fishes? I want Neon Tetra.

IMG_20141102_190747.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are you doing a fishless cycle by adding household ammonia? Do you have an API master test kit?

pin2xbo

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2014
Are you doing a fishless cycle by adding household ammonia? Do you have an API master test kit?
I did not add anything other than tap water conditioner to the water. I was also going to let Petco check on my water this weekend. I will be buying the Master Kit later on.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Gotcha. I was just basing that on your post above that says "after 1 day of fishless cycle". There's no cycle going on unless you're adding ammonia or adding something organic that's going to break down and eventually form the ammonia you need.

Your other options are adding some sponge or bio media out of someone's healthy, established filter, to your filter. Or using a well established sponge-bubbler filter in your tank (or used HOB), adding your fish and monitoring water params daily.

Or, add something like 2 zebra danios, measure water params daily, do water changes pretty much daily until you see nothing but nitrates.

Any option is going to require an API master test kit. I would not rely on Petco/Petsmart's paper test strips or personnel.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
As mentioned the water will not start to cycle until after you have a source of ammonia in there. It can be ammonia, fish food, a small hardy fish--but something is needed.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
to do a true fishless cycle, it can take a while but i believe that it is the most humane way to do it. You would need to go to like Ace Hardware or somewhere that has bottle of ammonia, make sure it has no scent added. you would need to add ammonia to start your cycle.

I had a 40 gallon tank and one teaspoon was to much, i would suggest getting a dropper and just putting a few drops in a 10 gallon tank, then using you testing kit you can monitor your ammonia levels, once the levels go down that means you are starting to finally cycle

there is a sticky note at the top of page in the newbie forum that goes into great detail on how to properly cycle your tank

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
You need pure ammonia to do a cycle. You have to look for ammonia without scents, surficants or anything else. It can be hard to track down. There are threads on fishless cycle techniques on here. I agree that a fishless cycle is the only way to go. You defiantly need an api master test kit. I know it seems like a lot of money, but if you wait to get the fish and get everything first you will be much more successful.

Good luck with the fishless cycle.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think we scared pin2x- off with all the ammonia and cycling talk.. LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store