Buying Fish Online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I would like to get input on buying fish online. I have a hard time finding quality stock at stores in rural KY. Even when I get to a larger city, I typically fail to find variety that appeals to me. Some thoughts for you to interact with...

1) Shipping is expensive! This is understandable given the space needed, the speed that shipping needs to happen, etc. But because of that expense, I want to "make it count." So I'm more apt to order more than I would typically buy at a local store and put more stress on my system by adding more bio-load at the same time. Thoughts on this?

2) I'd like to get some good GBRs and Cardinal Tetras, but these fish seem rather sensitive. Am I just shooting myself in the foot trying to buy sensitive fish like this online and putting them through the shipping process? If you lose fish, you might find someone willing to replace or refund the cost of fish only, but when you're looking at $30 in fish and 2x 3x 4x that to ship, it really stings and I can't afford to make deals like that.

3) There seem to be some great people on here who are selling, but they're all in California! That's a long way from my Old Kentucky Home which increases shipping costs and makes me pay for a higher level to make sure I can get them in a timely manner. Is there anyone on here in the Southeast who has good stock to sell?

Do you order online? What do you think about these issues? Thanks!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Do you have any local (or semi-local) aquarium societies?

you might find that someone there would be breeding the fish you want, or you might be able to put together a group buy to offset some of the shipping costs.

It's been a long, long time since I've had anything shipped, but there are plenty of options on the east coast too.

And don't worry too much about it, these people ship fish all the time, so they get to be pretty good at it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Eric, I've bought lots online for my tanks, but never any live goods. I know those that have, rarely report any issues. Have you checked Aquabid? Do you have any local aquarium clubs on Facebook or the likes? I know many times local online groups will place group orders to save on shipping.

I'm very fortunate to have 2 really great LFS that have great stock or will order what you want.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I do order on line and generally prefer to find a shipper that is close.
but I have had good luck getting fish from the east coast as well as bad luck from some on the west coast.

you may want to check aquabid I know there are breeders in Florida that stock rams as well as cardinals.

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
I'm in basically the same situation here in rural Ohio. I've purchased 90% of my fish on-line at AquaBid and have had very good success. Talk to the sellers and only buy from those you are comfortable with.

Talk with Mike Drawdy, showfishing on AquaBid. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Showfishing

Mike's a great guy with some fantastic shipping prices. He's been a speaker at my local club a couple of times and I purchased fish from him at the ACA convention in Cincy. Highly recommended.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlids&1415449206

Dennis

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have bought many, many fish online, and have never had any issues. I also ship fish regularly and also have had no issues. Last week I shipped fish to NJ, and Ohio, today I shipped fish to Utah. I have bought fish from Calif, Oregon and Wash, and not had any issues. Is it expensive ? Yes it is. Fish I just shipped overnite to Utah were $51 for the shipping. I would not have any hesitation with buying fish on line, you just need to be prepared to pay a little more to have them shipped. That is just the cost of finding what you want and having it shipped. Good luck.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
It can be expensive, but is worth it in many wAys. Better quality, better shipping, healthier fish.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I would like to get input on buying fish online. I have a hard time finding quality stock at stores in rural KY. Even when I get to a larger city, I typically fail to find variety that appeals to me. Some thoughts for you to interact with...

1) Shipping is expensive! This is understandable given the space needed, the speed that shipping needs to happen, etc. But because of that expense, I want to "make it count." So I'm more apt to order more than I would typically buy at a local store and put more stress on my system by adding more bio-load at the same time. Thoughts on this?

2) I'd like to get some good GBRs and Cardinal Tetras, but these fish seem rather sensitive. Am I just shooting myself in the foot trying to buy sensitive fish like this online and putting them through the shipping process? If you lose fish, you might find someone willing to replace or refund the cost of fish only, but when you're looking at $30 in fish and 2x 3x 4x that to ship, it really stings and I can't afford to make deals like that.

3) There seem to be some great people on here who are selling, but they're all in California! That's a long way from my Old Kentucky Home which increases shipping costs and makes me pay for a higher level to make sure I can get them in a timely manner. Is there anyone on here in the Southeast who has good stock to sell?

Do you order online? What do you think about these issues? Thanks!
1 it can be managed. just keep a eye on the tanks or even do a few extra water changes. i get in thousands of shrimp and sometimes thousands of fish at a time. if you are over loading a tank at once you can always do daily large water changes.

2 maybe be sensitive but my experience both tend to ship well. i have shipped thousands of cardinals. yes there was some loss here and there mostly from orders going priority which was delayed as well by the post office. going next day really cuts down the chance of something to happen. as for shipping thats just the risk. though often you pay less for the fish online then what you would do in the store. so shipping adds on to the cost but can still be cheaper over all. the more you order the more you save as it cuts down the price per fish shipping cost.

3 there are great places to order all over the country. though unless someone is really close the shipping wont be too much of a savings between the two coasts.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
If you buy from liveaquaria, the shipping is free on large enough orders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store