I need a new schooling type of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

samuricex

AC Members
Nov 4, 2014
I have a 55g planted aquarium, and my schooling fish is currently Leopard Danios but they are TOO crazy for my tastes. All day long they are dashing around the tank everywhere. I want something calmer and not so hyper active.

My centerpiece will be Blue Rams. Algae eaters will be Otocinclus and Nerite Snails. Sterbai cories will be my bottom dwellers. What type of schooling fish can live with these and won't be so crazy? Preferably something that likes to stay close to each other more, my danios don't care to stay together, they are spread throughout the tank and I only have 11 of them.

samuricex

AC Members
Nov 4, 2014
How big do those guys get? I forgot to mention I prefer something on the smaller side. About an inch at biggest, though up to 1.5" is doable but I would prefer something smaller.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
What about a Large school of Neon Tetras or Glo lights. They stay around an inch and school tightly. Amazing fish to watch and are very colorful. The more you have of them, the more they explore their surroundings.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How about a flock of hatchets for the top?

Or a bunch of cardinal tetras?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
T Espei Rasbora, glo-lights and neons are all good ideas. If you go hatchets, I would get the Marble Hatchet.​

samuricex

AC Members
Nov 4, 2014
Do these T Espei's go by any other name? I went to the LFS today and the guy said they don't have those. But from the pics I've seen they look like Harlequin Rasboras and they did have those.

I did see some kind of dwarf Rasbora (I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name) and they appealed to me. They were very small, very plain looking, and they seemed to actually school, moving together as one unit. Anyone have any idea what they might be?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store