need help picking out a new schooling fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I keep looking at my 37 gallon when I have my door open... My rasboras stay on the top and theres no movement what so ever in the middle or lower parts of the tank. I talked to my manager and she's allowing me to bring in all 12 of my Harlequin rasboras into work, putting them into the sick tank I have set up in the back for sick fish from the show floor. They will stay in the tank for a week and be put onto the show floor in a tank with small angels.

but.. What type of fish should I replace them with and how many. I'm looking at Glo-lights, Black Neon Tetras, Gold Barbs or Tiger Barbs. I might also add a different bottom feeder besides cories. I'm also looking(only picking one) at a Spotted Rapheal catfish, tire track eel, clown plecos, or loaches(not Kuhlis or Clowns)

Once the rasboras are gone, this is what I will have left: (last cory sadly died)
Pearl Gourami pair
3 South Americn Bumblebee catfish
Female swordtail
3 unkillable shrimp

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Tire track eel would outgrow the tank relatively quickly, smaller species like the zigzag would be better. The SA bumblebee cats have the bottom feeder option covered. A raphael cat would also be invisible by day, and along with the bumblebees eat anything small like neon tetras. Same with a clown pleco, you'll never see it, but you will be cleaning up plenty of sawdust as it eats wood.
Mollies or other livebearers are typically pretty active throughout the tank. Barbs are mainly bottom-oriented.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I want a schooling fish that adds movement and color more then the red rasboras. The bumblebee catfish are small 2-3" max and hide all the time. I might look into the Dwarf Chain Loaches and see if I can get some, but how many...

I was looking at Danios, there's Pearl or Zebra danios I been looking at. I like barbs and haven't had them in awhile. Gold barbs are bright and Tiger barbs look nice to.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
dwarf chain loaches like most loaches like to be in schools. so the more you can get the better. i would do like 7-8 of them. zebra danios are super active though dont add a lot of color.

the pearl danios are great along with the erythromicrons. i am also a big fan of ember tetras. how about some of the small rainbows? they have a lot of personalty.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
If you are looking for movement, you can't beat the dwarf chain loaches - they are the energizer bunnies of the fish world. I have 10-12 in a 46 BF, and they NEVER stop. Good luck.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I might see about the loaches, they are a bit pricey for me right now. I like the color of pearl danios. How many can I do in my 37? I would do rainbows but the small ones might be dinner to my catfish
if the smaller rainbows are too small the pearl danios will be as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store