Breeding Apistos - which ones?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
So I'm very fortunate that one of our local shops here stocks an incredible variety of hard to find cichlids, wild caught, dwarfs... you name it they get it.

Anyhow, I have a pair of Viejeta Apistos I bought a few months back. They're in with my Angelfish and thriving.

The other day I went in and he had a slew of new Apistos and of course, I couldn't resist.

I picked up a pair of the following: Borelli (2 pairs), Hongsloi and Baenschi/Inka.

I'm going to try breeding a pair as I've never tried before. My question is if you were going to give it a go, which type would you try first? I'm thinking for ease of breeding, set up requirements etc.

I'm going to do some reading up on how to breed them properly but if you have any tips as well, please share, I appreciate it!

I'm going to set up a 20 gallon long, with a sand substrate some flat slate/rocks and Almond leaves (I believe the leaves I have are almond, don't hold me to it though), and perhaps a few lives plants and java moss.

How does that sound and which pair would you try breeding first? I was thinking Viejeta as they've shown some pairing behaviors in my large tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cacatuoides.. mine breed like bunnies.

I hear the macmasteri are easy to breed tho.

I do know that many spawn on the roofs of caves.. or large pieces of driftwood that will make caves.. the babies seem to like driftwood.. they hang there and hide tho some will hang with the mom.

I have some dbl red cac's that I have 3 spawns in a 20 long the babies hid in a piece of malaysian driftwood that has holes in it..literallly looks like they were drilled in the wood..mini caves the babies pop out feed then hide in them so the parents couldn't eat them...

the males are usually pretty easy to ID compared to females but many times they are very young at the stres so they may be hard to ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store