Freshwater sump setup that has great mechanical filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishinmt

Spiraling out of control
Jan 2, 2009
MT
Hello,
I have a 78 gallon planted tank with happy friendly community fish. The tank has the overflow for a sump. I originally tried it out but I didn't like the filtration. I was just using some plastic containers with filter floss in the 10 gallon sump. No baffles or anything like that. Instead I ran canister filters for years and the tank looked great. Now both filters have leaked, causing damage to the floors, and I don't really want to try them again. I also like that the sump keeps the water level filled in the main tank.

So my question is this:
What is a good sump layout for freshwater? Do you know of who builds any? All the designs I saw were for a protein skimmer for the filtration, which of course doesn't work in freshwater.

My thoughts / concerns:
I understand that filter socks can be a pain in the buns. I would want to maintain the media about every two weeks. The canisters could go a month.
I wouldn't mind a "refugium" area for breeding worms and other yummies for the fish
It would need to probably be about the size of a 20 high, a 20 long can't fit in the cabinet without moving the tank, and I'm not about to do that.
My tank is heavily planted, I do not run CO2, and everything has been stable for quite some time. I want to get the poop out of the water. I liked the polishing pads on the canisters and how sparkling clean the water was with them.

Does anyone have a good design for this type of setup? I'm sure I can craft one, but I don't see a good solution for good mechanical filtration at this point.

Thanks!

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Filter socks are not a pain. Just make sure you have spares. Pop the dirty one out and pop the clean one in. Boom! Done with maintenance. Lol
Now you would just have to clean the sock sometime before the clean one gets dirty. Just spray it off then throw it in the washing machine ala carte(aka no soap or other laundry)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
there a lot of different designs for sumps (wet/dry filters)
vary from using baffled set ups to tray with baffles(the baffles reduce agitation especially important in the return area.. too much agitation and you get air with the water which can create cavitation in the return pump.

you may want to do an internet image search to get ideas.
you can also utilize the search feature here to look for sump, wet/dry etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store