Stocking question (2 x 10g)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Hey yo! I've got an extra ten gallon back at home that I'll be able to set up in about a month. I know my tank right now is overstocked and I'm doing my best to keep up with more frequent water changes-- I'm still a newbie and have given into the pressures of buying one too many fish from the pet store. Here's what I'm planning on doing as of right now:

First 10g:

5 pygmy cories
4 otocinclus
1 ADF

Second 10g:
1 betta
4 cardinal tetras
2 male guppies

I might re-home some of the otocinclus-- I had one in there originally and got three more for free at an event at my LFS. But what else, if anything, could I fit into these tanks? Both will be planted with java fern and willow moss most likely, if that counts for anything. I'd love to add one or two honey gouramis to the first setup, and maybe a kuhli loach to the second. Please let me know what you guys think!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
First Tank: No issues
Second: Some Possible problems

Firstly, a school of 4 cardinal tetras is pretty small. They really are a schooling fish, and 6+ is recommended. The bigger issue I see is with the betta and male guppies. Betta's aren't overly aggressive with other fish (usually) but a male guppy, with its long fins and all, could easily trigger a betta to become aggressive. I'd remove the betta and add some more cardinals.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
First Tank: No issues
Second: Some Possible problems

Firstly, a school of 4 cardinal tetras is pretty small. They really are a schooling fish, and 6+ is recommended. The bigger issue I see is with the betta and male guppies. Betta's aren't overly aggressive with other fish (usually) but a male guppy, with its long fins and all, could easily trigger a betta to become aggressive. I'd remove the betta and add some more cardinals.
The first tank would not have anything in the middle of the tank. All bottom dwellers.

In the 2nd tank, I would remove the guppies and add more Cardinals.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Thanks, guys! Maybe in the first tank if I took out two or three of the ottos they could be replaced by one or two honey gouramis? And as for the second tank, if I took out the guppies and added 2-4 more cardinals, do you suppose there would be room for a single kuhli loach?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
And as for the second tank, if I took out the guppies and added 2-4 more cardinals, do you suppose there would be room for a single kuhli loach?
Even though you are only thanking all the "Guys" I will answer you too.

Yes, Cardinals and Kuhli Loaches really have small "Bio-Loads".

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Even though you are only thanking all the "Guys" I will answer you too.

Yes, Cardinals and Kuhli Loaches really have small "Bio-Loads".
My apologies! Thanks, guy and gal. :p Anyways, I think that's about all I need to know. I get the feeling that at this point both tanks will be pretty full, and I'm fine with that! Planning on doing much more research before buying anything else from fish stores, even when the employees seem very knowledgeable.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
After a little thought, I may just move the betta into a 3 gallon of his own. Do you think in a 10 gallon I could fit 6 cardinal tetras, 6 rummy-nose and 1-2 kuhli loach, or is that stretching the limit? Will rummy-nose and cardinal school together?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
After a little thought, I may just move the betta into a 3 gallon of his own. Do you think in a 10 gallon I could fit 6 cardinal tetras, 6 rummy-nose and 1-2 kuhli loach, or is that stretching the limit? Will rummy-nose and cardinal school together?
IMO, yes. At about limit, but yes. PS--They would not school in such a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store