Cichlids in a 150 gallon pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cideon

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2014
So I have a 150 stock tub that I would like to use as a pond, but although I kinda like shubunkins, I was hoping for some cichlids. I was thinking about salvinis, Cuban cichlids, or bumblebees cichlids (how about six? ). Not sure if these would be ok in a species only group though. Any other recommendations?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
I'm not a cichlid guy, but i would be worried about the water temp in the winter (unless you live in Hawai'i). most cichlids come from equatorial waters and i would think would start being stressed when the water got below 70.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It can certainly be done indoors that is. There are a few drawbacks first of all you will not be able to really see the beautiful coloring of the adult fish and secondly, if somebody decides to pair off and spawn the will likely murder the other four.

I had my Jacks in the same sort of set up and they were very spooked and hid all the time.

cideon

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2014
Drat. Guess I'll just get shubunkins or flagfish maybe.at least I could monitor them for a few years and if the water can be kept warm (not sure for my winters), then I'll reconsider asking with that knowledge. But it may be much too difficult so probably gonna have to wait for an indoor tank. Thank you!

Wondering, has anyone had luck with a pond inside a garage? Are the car fumes risky from just parking or leaving? Will the temp change a lot when the door is opened?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
here's hoping you don't run the cars in a closed garage.

i haven't tried it, but it should work, if you don't mind sacrificing all of the storage area (or do you not have kids?).

temperature swings in something as massive as a 150 gal stock tank will respond VERY slowly to changes in the air temperature,; it should run very close to the slab temperature, which is probably a little warmer than the ground temperature since the garage is at least slightly thermally coupled to the house.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
I have a 30g pond I brought indoors for the weekend. I use it to grow out a few aequidens metae and cryptoheros nanoluteus. I have some livebearers and bushynose in there too. I also use it to grow out plant trimmings.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store