Help needed with my sick goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goldilocks

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Hello, I am Goldliocks and I live in Spain. I have a very sick goldfish who is lying on the bottom of the tank and only swims now and again with difficulty, he now has one eye that is much larger than the other, I have put a dose of Epsom Salts in the tank together with a dose of Bicarbonate of soda. the dose was as advised by one of the fish websites. I have been to look at Charlie the goldfish this morning and to me he does not look any better. I am really worried about him for I do not want him to die. I would be very grateful for any advise I can receive to help him. I have asked my vet here in Spain but he does not know anything about fish at all. Please help I am desperate.

Goldilocks

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Hello Petluvr, no sorry I do not know the parameter readings. I have done two changes of the water one a half change, and the other a 3rd change, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. But he does not seem to be able to swim properly, if he makes the effort I have seen him swim to the top and stright down to the bottom again. Could all this problem be due to water retention? for it is said that it is fluid that pushes out the eye and makes it large.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
DO you have a liquid test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Goldilocks

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Hello Rbishop, no I do not have a test kit, I have had my goldfish for about 6 years and I have never had a problem with him this is the first time. I really do need some help quickly.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
What sort of tank do you have, filter heater etc. Have you been doing regular water changes? You could start out with a couple of 50% water changes. They might not fix everything but they don't hurt. Just make sure to treat your water with something like seachem prime or the like. Also try to match the temperature as close as possible to the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
After 6 yrs, it could easily be an age or genetic issue also....size of tank? pics of fish?

Goldilocks

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
I have been doing the water changes, but it hasn´t helped at all. I do not know how old the goldfish is as he was brought in by my cat from somebody´s pond, but I must have had him now for at least 6 years it could be longer than that.

Goldilocks

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
I have been doing the water changes, but it hasn´t helped at all. I do not know how old the goldfish is as he was brought in by my cat from somebody´s pond, but I must have had him now for at least 6 years it could be longer than that. He does not have the raised scales as they do for Dropsy, I am at my wits end to know what to do next. What causes Popeye?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store