Update on Nitrates and my 37 gallon tank and white splotches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
Hi All,

I posted before about my tank and the nitrates reading 160. I have since bought a bulk supply of tetra brand test strips which test several things. My water conditions remain normal *aside from the nitrates* which move between 80 and 160. I have added Prime to the water (it claims to lower nitrates among other things). I have started water changes (25 percent weekly). No real change in nitrate levels.

I really do not know what else to do. The fish are ok and seem happy. My female molly has has two round of babies. I did find a taker for the male molly and several babies. Currently the mollies - I can sex - are all females. So I am at 3 tetras, 2 adult mollies, 3 - two month old mollies, 5 - 1 month old mollies and 3 otos. I do not think that is too many for the 37 gallons right now but as the babies grow, I may need to find homes for a few more.

Still the nitrate levels remain high.
Also the adult black molly had white splotches again. I thought it was fin rot before and treated the water for 7 days and it seemed to improve. But its back. It first happened after I introduced a new molly that later died. I am not sure if its fin rot or its ick. I wish I knew. The person who bought this tank for my then 3 year old said freshwater tanks were easy and told me you never even have to do water changes as that just stresses the fish out. Of course her tank is completely dead now -- she did have it for years though with no water changes. Anywho...I am trying to get the tank in good order. Thoughts??? Should I be posting this on the newbie forum. Funny I have had the tank for almost 2 years and I am definitely a newbie still. I am now trying to learn enough to keep the one tank going. Its definitely more work than my cat is LOL!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Lynn, all you have to do is larger or more frequent water changes to bring the nitrate level down. 160ppm nitrate is over the top, extremely high. I never do less than a 50% weekly water change on any of my tanks.

With nitrates over 100ppm, it would take a fin-level water change to bring it down. You can drop the water level right down to where the fish almost have no room to swim.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It's really a matter of percentages.. but you prob should test your source water before deciding with plan of action to take..
the source water tests will help determine what % of water you should change.
in the even the source water is totally clear of nitrate then I would recommend smaller(25%) changes several times during the week slowly dropping the nitrate levels. before doing a large water change.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with Ed, small frequent WCs with such high nitrates, 25% max. Look up "old tank syndrome". You might consider adding plants too. Ideally I like to keep nitrate between 10 & 20ppm, over 40 can be hard on fish. Fin rot is often linked to poor water quality.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Very true on the potential of "old tank syndrome", but I'm not sure this tank has been setup all that long, has fry in it... and by all means needs some form of a water change ASAP.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
that's why the need to check source water.
it would be wise to have that as a comparison.

ultimately to find why the high nitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store