Oto cats and zucchini - possible to overfeed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
So I have three oto cats in my 37 gallon tank. There is definitely algae in the tank but one of the oto cats is twice as big as the other two. And one is definitely the smallest. I have small, small plus, and big in terms of their sizes. I read they like veggies and that is ok to supplement their diet. I peeled and boiled 1/3 of a typical zucchini, pulled some stones from the tank bottom out and used them to fill in the middle of one end of the zucchini piece so it would sink to the bottom. That worked (I was actually proud of myself for thinking of that and it actually working lol). So the smallest of my three oto cats has been attached to that piece of zucchini since 15 minutes after I placed it in the tank - its been 4 hours now. I saw the big guy come by but the little one kind of pushed him away gently and went back to the zucchini. Is it possible he might eat too much of it? I know that might seem silly but since its a supplement, I wonder if I need to monitor how much he eats. Obviously he likes it and since he is the smallest of the three (all the same size when I got them last May), I assume he may need the extras. Any oto cat experts?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good call on feeding the Otos the blanched veggies. What I do to sink veggies is buy a couple high quality stainless-steel screws and just 'screw' the screw into the veggie piece to sink it. Afterwards you can just net out the screw and uneaten bits.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Good call on feeding the Otos the blanched veggies. What I do to sink veggies is buy a couple high quality stainless-steel screws and just 'screw' the screw into the veggie piece to sink it. Afterwards you can just net out the screw and uneaten bits.
What you really need... is a screwcumber

http://www.screwcumber.com/

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^wow, that's really a thing. I thought you were kidding.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Lynnie, you might want to just do a slice of zucchini, slightly zapped. 1/3 of an "average" size squash seems like an awful lot for 3 little otos. I don't think they'll overeat but kind of a waste of good veg ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store