blue spruce/norway spruce roots as decor, okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i have a root ball from a norway spruce or blue spruce, looks pretty cool.

is it save to use in a freshwater planted tank as decor?

thanks

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
In my experience pine is a no go, but that is only because of the sap. I think you would be just fine if you boiled it first. Just my two cents!

:cheers:

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
thanks rufio
its the roots, so i have seen a lot of sap.
its been sitting out on as rock for couple months. it was heavy, but now that its dry...VERY light.

will see how to boil/scrub it then soak.

i didn't know if it would make water too acidic, but maybe the sand substrate will buffer against that anyway.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I don't see anyone on aquaticplantcentral forum reporting that they have used that particular wood. Generally seeing sap in wood of conifers is not a good sign. I read anecdotal reports of most conifers being trouble to aquarium systems, with a few exceptions; western hemlock, bald cypress, Australian pine, Cypress and possibly cedar.

I would not try it in my main system without a test setup done with a piece that you see sap in. A couple varieties of small fish, and some ghost shrimp would give you some idea of the usability of the wood. Just be sure you give it some months to see the cumulative effects before you decide whether it is usable or not.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Ok that sounds slightly less ominous. You would still need to weigh how cool you think the wood is if you want to use it short term. I say that because being soft wood it would tend to decay faster than hardwood and cause issues that way. It wouldn't be the wood itself but the byproducts of decomposition that you would have to keep an eye out for.

The best stuff is either heartwood or more rot resistant hardwood. Manzanita is one option that has similarities to what you have, but you might have to pay for it if you don't have access to some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store