HOB vs Sponge Filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Hello, folks.

I was doing some research this morning and got to wondering if replacing my HOB (125GPH) filter with a sponge setup. I don't know all that much about the latter, but I heard it provides a lot more surface area for bacteria. Also, my HOB keeps getting strings of plant on the intake, and I'm afraid that eventually it will cause a problem. My tank is 10 gallons and planted with java fern, willow moss, and another moss-like plant that I've forgotten the name of.

Thanks in advanced!

---Luke

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It would depend if you like the sight of them in the tank and if the volume loss is acceptable to you.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Why not the best of both? Add a sponge to the intake of your HOB filter. It'll serve a similar purpose of giving more surface area for bacteria, provide pretty good mechanical filtration, and still have higher flow rate than a sponge filter.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I love sponge filters as secondary filtration in my tanks, even box-bubblers, but like said, they'll take up valuable interior space on tank this size. Check ebay or the likes. You can mail-order small, suction cup mounted sponge filters for super cheap

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I run a small power filter and a HOB. Never hurts to have 2 in case one fails. The powerhead is about 2.5 inches square and the filter section is about the same size using just a sponge. It doesn't seem to take up much room and hides well behind a fake log and a sword plant. It is adjustable low enough that it doesn't create a whirlpool in the 10 gallon (though turned up all the way is a little extreme) It also has a port on the outlet for a 1/4" hose. It came with a piece designed to vent to the top of the tank to add air bubbles into the outlet stream, but I use it to inject my DIY CO2.

All that said, you are not going to get more bacteria than you need. So if your current filter is able to keep up with the bioload, adding another won't do anything for bio filtration. So it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and on what budget.

-keep stuff out of the intake? add a sponge to the intake/cheap
-add bio filtration? only if the current filter can't keep up will another one help/likely not needed
-failsafe or secondary filtration? always a good idea but not necessary/relatively more money

Another aspect of a second filter is you can use it for a quarantine tank or to start off a new tank. Just be aware when you remove it from the main tank, the primary filter for that tank will have a mini cycle.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Thanks for all the responses, guys! I did end up getting a sponge to put over my HOB intake but it was too big so I rubber banded it on. That was a few days ago, and it seems to already be covered with lots of green gunk. Could just be plant matter, but it's at least a tiny bit worrying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store