Massive Die-Off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
So we went out of town for a few days and came back to a total mess. Lost at least half my stock. Tested for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite and everything looked good. Temperature was good. Did two big water changes and no one else has died yet.

Only thing I can think of is I added some neons without QT about a week before. Did I introduce some sort of disease? No signs of anything that I can see.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
May have figured out my own problem. Was thinking things through and realized I did the water quality test after my first WC. Just a few minutes ago, trying to investigate further I discovered a large turquoise rainbow who had died and was tucked in a little cave under a piece of driftwood. I knew he was gone but I thought perhaps he had been eaten up. Had decomposed a good bit and was STINKING when I brought him out. He may have caused some serious quality issues that I didn't pick up on because of the water change.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Yep and some good advise QT any new fish don't risk putting in new fish into your healthy tank that have not gone through QT. I did that as a newbie and learned a big lesson when the new fish I bought came down with an illness and died and then also infected my healthy ones. After that happened I invested in a 10 gallon QT and have not looked back. Best investment I made and saves me a lot of money too! Hope all goes well now and yes water changes are a good thing now to restore the health back to your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store