Cichlid tank size?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Okay, so you can pretty much assume I know next to nothing about cichlids. I have been researching them a bit and have come across information that varies greatly. I'm talking about the ones that generally get 4-7 inches in length here, none of the big guys. I've heard from a few people that you can fit 5 or 6 of them into a 30 gallon with no problems whatsoever, but then I've heard from just as many people that they need a minimum of 55-75 gallons or bigger. I'm not planning on starting up a cichlid tank anytime soon, but I figure it's better to do research now than a week before I put fish in.

--Luke

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There are many different type of cichlids.....you will have to narrow down your choices before anyone can accurately define the mix to tank size....

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Forgive me; my LFS is the only place I've seen cichlids in person and the ones they've got (other than the occasional tiger oscar or JD) are all in one tank and labelled as "assorted African cichlids" with a maximum length of 6 inches. They are primarily yellow, white, or grew with black stripes over the tops of them. I tried to find what type they were earlier, but I couldn't quite do it. I'll ask an employee next time I'm there.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Take a look thru our cichlid forums. The three lakes in Africa offer a very diverse range of cichlids, as do the SA ones. All with varying requirements. You will be limited in what you can do in a 30 gal tank with any of them, unless shell dwellers.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Okay, after a bit more research I'm seeing just how limited I am with cichlids, but I am definitely open to dwarf species! I'm assuming I can only keep one species of shell-dwellers in a 30 gallon, but I'm uncertain if anything else can go with it. The Neolamprologus brichardi caught my eye-- happen to know how many of them would be happy in a 30? And then could I add some rummy-nose tetras with them, an ADF, small cory cats, or what? At this point I'm really just looking for suggestions and appreciate any help!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Ok, with South American dwarf's you'd leave your options open for a community type setup. German Rams, Apisto's, Bolivian rams, and kribensis (not a south american, but you can treat it as such) are peaceful species that can coexist well with other fish. You mentioned brichardi, I have a very close relative, Neoplamprologus pulcher and I think they're great. The downside is that there is almost no chance you'd be able to keep other fish with them in a 30g tank. They are very aggressive, and if they start breeding, no chance for survival of any other fish.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
I like the look of them! But yeah, the fact that it'd be a species only tank turns me away just a little bit. I do have to face the fact that 30 gallons isn't very big, though. Do you think I could squeeze some loaches or 1-2 otocinclus in with them, and how many do you think would be fine in a 30? My guess would be 3-5, but that's pretty much a shot in the dark.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
You COULD add in some fish, but all bets are off as to if they will survive. 1-2 oto catfish might escape their notice and be fine, but I'm pretty sure loaches would be picked off eventually.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
All right, noted. After thinking about it more I really like the idea of this fish. How many of them do you think would be happy in a 30? And will the tank need to be planted/decorated heavily? Will I need a sand substrate or will smooth gravel be fine? So many questions...would I need 300GPH+ filtration?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What are the dimensions of your tank? This will help narrow down appropriate species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store