Alas poor jumper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
The net over my office tank slipped a bit and my nicest female swordfish managed to jump out through the tiny gap.

Just whining about it, sigh.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sucks.....

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah losing fish sucks. I lost a 13" oscar one time, jumped enough to shove the tank top out of the way and clear the tank. Found it dead on the floor. Luckily before it started to smell too badly. All you can do is look at what you could have done differently/better to prevent it from happening in the future.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I have now stapled velcro tabs on the corners of the net to ensure to stays exactly in place. Hopefully my two remaining females will come up with some replacements.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
sounds like a good solution...hope it works!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well you could do what my science teacher does on her frog tank.she has a few bungee cords on each side of the tank.so you would have to move the cords off each time you want to go in the tnak but it should work very well.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I did some home to find 5 sword tail fry in my quarantine tank, they must have been in hiding since I moved the adults to my office.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Easy come easy go... well... the other way around. Yeah it sucks losing a jumper. I lost a bunch of Hatchet fish that way when I was a kid. They would find the smallest of openings.

Who said fish are smart?

Q

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's too bad.. I've never had any type of live-bearer leap on me. Try your best keeping your tank covered is all you can do. I've lost all but one of my silver hatchets over the years and I've got a glass versa-top on their tank!

Does the room they're in get completely dark? I've heard it can help keep a dim light somewhere away from the tank. Night light type thing.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I had not heard that. I could certainly try a night light. the breeder said his were jumpers, and it certainly proved true. Such a nice showa female. So far the fry look like koi swordtails (orange and white) but I do not know if the black spots come later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store