Maturing Rainbows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
It's been awhile since I've posted anything at all. I'd like to show a couple pics of some Rainbows that inhabit my 75g community tank. I've been experimenting with taking photos, and it's pretty difficult to get these guys to "stand still". I didn't use a flash - so there's definitely some blur. I also did some cropping.

First is a melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi

And then a melanotaenia marci

These guys are both around 5 years old. I also have females for both of them, as well as a trio of melanotaenia trifasciata 'goyder river' in there. I love the big Rainbows!

Thanks for looking.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Nice specimens and pretty good photos considering. Those australian fish are one thing I've not kept. I know they tend to swim around a lot, a bit like the larger danios. But beyond that I don't know anything about what their social behaviors are.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
Thanks! They are for the most part, great community fish. I started off with trios of the 3 varieties, but lost a couple females over the years. The key to having colorful males is having females, as well as other males so that they'll "spar" and really brighten up. They never go so far as to nip at each other, but they are really agile swimmers and dance together in tight circles. It happens every day, multiple times. They also are very responsive to the fish keeper and will follow you around. Very entertaining fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store