restocking 75 gallon tropical

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
OK Im redoing my 75 gallon tank as a planted tropical tank again. Right now its fully cycled and only houses 1 good sized fancy goldfish who will be relocated or traded in.

I want to do something that has lots of activity so my 3 year old will enjoy looking at all the fish. So I'm thinking either 2 or 4 angelfish, 2 bristlenose plecos, some platies. What else would work with that, I need some more stocking suggestions, I'm flexible on what type of fish other than I definitely want some angelfish as sort of the centerpiece.

Also plant suggestions are good too, I need low-medium light plants that do not require co2. I was thinking some amazon swords and maybe some java fern and java moss. I have a nice centerpiece of driftwood I can use. Substrate is play sand so need plants that don't mind that.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I have an angel tank for my daughter that I keep cherry barbs with. The males are bright enough to add some nice color, and they're active enough to be interesting. Cherry shrimp of some color variety also add an interesting touch, and they are pretty bulletproof, just have to be careful doing water changes.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
OK Im redoing my 75 gallon tank as a planted tropical tank again. Right now its fully cycled and only houses 1 good sized fancy goldfish who will be relocated or traded in.

I want to do something that has lots of activity so my 3 year old will enjoy looking at all the fish. So I'm thinking either 2 or 4 angelfish, 2 bristlenose plecos, some platies. What else would work with that, I need some more stocking suggestions, I'm flexible on what type of fish other than I definitely want some angelfish as sort of the centerpiece.

Also plant suggestions are good too, I need low-medium light plants that do not require co2. I was thinking some amazon swords and maybe some java fern and java moss. I have a nice centerpiece of driftwood I can use. Substrate is play sand so need plants that don't mind that.
A pair of angels would do well in that tank. I'd also add 3 pearl gouramis, 6 cories, a pair of BNs, and a medium sized school of rasboras or rummy nosed tetras. A few platies would add color and movement and will provide the occasional snack for the angels.

For plants I wouldn't use swords, but anubias, crypts, java fern, bolbitis and rotala. All will do well in low/med light without ferts. or CO2.

For filtration I'd go with an Eheim classic, minimum of a 2217.

Your 3 yr old should love it.

Mark

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A pair of angels would do well in that tank. I'd also add 3 pearl gouramis, 6 cories, a pair of BNs, and a medium sized school of rasboras or rummy nosed tetras. A few platies would add color and movement and will provide the occasional snack for the angels.

For plants I wouldn't use swords, but anubias, crypts, java fern, bolbitis and rotala. All will do well in low/med light without ferts. or CO2.

For filtration I'd go with an Eheim classic, minimum of a 2217.

Your 3 yr old should love it.

Mark

Yeppers! :thumbsup:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like some good ideas so far savi. Fish like angels and platies have personalities that children will appreciate. They typically greet you at the glass, doing a happy dance (great for kids), where your typical small schooling fish may not. You've got LOTS of options for a 75g! As far as easy, lower light plants, amazon swords are great, but get huge. I like anubia and java fern for the bottom and floating wisteria and/or water sprite for the top.

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
Thanks for the ideas! Some great suggestions to play around with as I look for good stock. There's one decent fish store about an hour from here, so will check them out next time I go that way. If I can't find all I'm looking for there, I'll look into ordering, which I may have to do for the plants at least.

The pair of angelfish sound good, and like the idea of cherry barbs and pearl gouramis with the platies and bristlenose. And maybe some cories too.

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
Update - got my new fish from liveaquaria.com!

Here's what I got:
2 small veil angelfish (not here yet, they are backordered ;) )
3 rainbow platies
2 blue mickey mouse platy (one gave birth in shipping bag!)
3 kuhli loaches
7 red eye tetra
2 bolivian rams
3 trapdoor snails

So far all appear to be doing well although a little skittish but hopefully they will get settled in soon.

It still looks more empty than I thought it would but I think I need more plants. So far I have 3 java fern on a large driftwood, 2 anubias on a small driftwood, 3 crypt balansae, and some wisteria. I'm getting some java moss soon from another member on here, so that will give livebearer fry a place to hide. But I'm thinking I need a good many crypts and maybe an amazon sword or two. Unfortunately my compact fluorescent stopped working today, so I've got to get that sorted before I get any more plants but I know I will definitely need some more to make the tank looks less bare.

Would you add anything else to this tank or will it be good as is? I was thinking a few black mollies would be nice but wasn't sure if they'd work with the other stuff. And maybe a little school of emerald cories or a couple bristlenose plecos.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks like a nice mix, but I'd be careful with the live-bearers. You can become overrun with babies. Kuhlis are awesome, but should be kept with a soft sand substrate. Corys do best with sand as well.

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
Thanks, my substrate is play sand so my kuhliis should be very happy with that. I knew cories prefer sand as well, so they would do well and add some more activity I think. I thought the angelfish would probably eat some of the livebearer fry but I do have a fish store that will take fish and give you a little credit so that will help or I could always offer them on craigslist or something.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good deal. The angels will probably pick off some. My large finned koi angel is a big goof who pretty much ignors anything thats not flake or crisp food. Got a tiny guppy that zips all around him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store