3 gallon Betta with snail or shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
I'm setting up a betta tank for my mom for her birthday. She loves bettas. I've had a 3 gallon cylinder tank I don't need so its been set up and cycled for her upcoming bday. It came with an air pump, so using a round nano sponge and tubing I made a small filter while keeping bubbles at surface at bare minimal. I've gotten a small heater already and its decorated and ready to go. Besides a couple fake plants i've added a marimo ball and a piece off my sprite to float at top. I know many people say 5 gallon for a betta is best, but i've got a happy living space set up. My mom can't physically handle the upkeep of anything bigger but she'll be able to manage a 1-1 1/2 gallon wc once a week plus i'll take of care of testing and stuff for her. I want to add something to help keep it cleaner for her so it will be less work. What would be best in a 3 gallon with a betta, a couple ghost shrimp or a single nerite? If ghosts, how many? I'm thinking 2-3. If snail i'm only doing one. Or could I do one snail and 2 ghosts? I want to add them this week before I get her betta next week.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
There is a good likelihood of ghost shrimp becoming a food source for your betta. If you're okay with that, they should be fine otherwise. I think you could do a snail and throw a few ghosties from time to time.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
It might be nice to set it up with a snail and take her to choose her own betta. That way she will get to choose the one she thinks is prettiest?

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
Getting her to go to pet store will be a task, lol. She likes to stay local. She had a beautiful blue one several years ago. So iI was going to find one like it. I've never actually seen a snail in a tank in person so i'll have to look at them and see if she would like it. If the 3g can handle it, i'll do 2 ghosts and 1 snail. It will help in case she over feeds. I figure the ghosts may get eaten which is why I want to give them a week in the tank first to find hiding places. I have rcs that I know she would enjoy, but i'm not letting any of my little reds become betta food! I just want to make sure I don't overload the small tank.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I don't think the ghost shrimp would make it, I have one betta who ignores shrimp (rcs) but others attack them. But something like some red ramshorns would probably be fine.

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
Nerites and mystery snails are all my nearest pet store has to offer. I'd prefer a nerite anyways as there won't be a population explosion. I've read where ghost shrimp have actually snagged onto a betta's tail. That concerns me. I may give her 2 from my tank as my ghosts have never been aggressive whatsoever towards my frogs or cherries and put a couple new ones in my tank.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I think nerites would be a good option, the are small and pretty. A plastic plant will give them cover and help avoid the betta harassing them. Most of my bettas ignored snails pretty quickly, but some of them just can't leave anything alone.

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
I think the nerite, I've had betta that liked to pick at the mystery snails eye stalks before but most of them don't bother snails. I've never had shrimp so I don't know how those would do but I'd skip if you think they might bother the betta's tail.

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
I got 2 tiger nerites for my own tank and 1 for hers. I did also get a ghost shrimp for hers but it died befored I got it home in the tank. Oh well. Since my cherries are practically breeding around the clock now, I may just toss a couple in hers and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store