Pearl Gourami: Will big female bully a smaller male?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

samuricex

AC Members
Nov 4, 2014
The LFS only had one male, so I bought him. I wanted to get him some females, another LFS just got a shipment in but they are bigger than mines. My current male is probably around 1 1/2 inches, the new females seem to be about 2 1/2 inches. Will they bully my shrimpy male or will he be fine with the bigger females?

And also, the females looked kind of plain/pale and seemed to be missing their pearls and colors while the males looked fine. I'm not sure if it's genetic or if they were stressed because there were a bunch of them stuffed into a small tank. I'm just wondering if it's temporary because I just don't want to end up with a pearl-less pearl gourami. They're a good LFS though, they just got super stocked (looked like they just got everything in the day before I went a few days ago) for a sale they're having this weekend.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The female pearls should color-up nicely once they settle into a good healthy home. Females are slightly less colorful than males, but still awesome IMO.

Any fish that's settled into a home may bully a new-comer. You never know until you try. Change around the decor or if need be, remove all fish, change decor and add old and new (preferably quarantined) all at once.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
QT her for a week or so and she will color up. The male will be harmon driven and he will color up as well. They are both tough so don't worry unless he reacts like a male betta and that is doubtful.

samuricex

AC Members
Nov 4, 2014
Nice, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be picking up two females since the sale is "buy one, get one free" for freshwater fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store