PH 8.0, is that a problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
I've been getting a new 45g planted tank setup up to speed and it's been going for a month now with only 6 rummynose tetras and ramshorns snails. The tank looks great and healthy, plants are growing, no algae issues. The substrate is flourite and sand. I've been taking readings over the time it's been running and noticed that the PH is at 8. The KH is 6. I was wondering if this is going to be a problem in terms of stocking the tank. I prefer not using additives or playing with PH but don't know if this is going to be problematic...

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
What is important in my experience is a stable pH, so as already noted the actual "pH matters very little".

With your KH at 6 dKH (about 107 ppm KH), likely over time the pH will drop just from normal acid producing bio processes.

This article is an excellent basic read for this subject with some links to more advanced info as well:
http://www.fishbeginner.info/home/aquarium-gh-kh-ph-chemistry-what-to-know/

G

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Thanks. Yes, i'm planning on stocking with normal community fish: Corys, tetras, harlequin rasboras, and possibly pearl gourami and/or keyhole cichlids. Another option would be for a couple of platties or swordfish.

The tank is well planted and has a large and two small pieces of driftwood as well as a few rocks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I tend to agree with the ' stable pH' as being most important.

Most fish will , in time adjust to the pH.

that said....

but keep in mind that pH is very important in terms of the nitrogen cycle. acidic pH can slow or inhibit nitrogen cycle(renders ammonia to safer ammonium) while more basic pH can do quite the opposite (ammonium to ammonia)

some fish it is just as important for breeding as well as being most comfortable in the correct pH.
very important for wilds as well as many (not far removed) south american species as well as a variety of african cichlids. the pH can be and is critical in some cases.

somebody please explain to me why it's critical to have the correct pH for african species(cichlid) but it's ok to drop a south american species ( discus) in less than favorable pH.. ;)
however, most of the domestic fish available have been breed for so many generations in captivity that they have gained the ability to 'adjust' to our varying pH's .

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
somebody please explain to me why it's critical to have the correct pH for african species(cichlid) but it's ok to drop a south american species ( discus) in less than favorable pH.. ;)
Good point!

My thoughts on this is that it is not all that critical for African Cichlids that they be maintained at a high pH, as much as pH stability and good mineralization of the water.

An analogy I would use, although admittedly imperfect, is that of someone who lives near sea level, but desires to climb a mountain over 14,000 feet.
It takes some time to acclimate to higher altitudes and a person coming from a coastal area such as LA is going to get hypoxia in an immediate attempt to climb this mountain. Yet a person say living in Big Bear Lake or Mexico City both of which are near 7000 feet is going to have less of a problem.
So it is with pH; fish can adapt, but sudden changes can be deadly

G

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store