anyone use "API Stress Coat"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
my water goes through a softener, so i don't need chlorine removed.

but considering the losses when adding the last fish to my tank, i was doing some searching i stumbled upon this API Stress Coat.

i was wondering if it was another noob ripoff item like "aquarium salt" or if it is really a good product to help fish transfer easier.

thanks.

p.s. i did search forum, not hits

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I use Stress Coat as my dechlor/conditioner. It says there is stuff to help stimulate the natural slime coat as well (I think with aloe vera). It works to keep my water safe. Don't know about the slime coat factor. I bought a 3 pack of the large bottles a long time ago at some sort of discount. Will probably switch to Prime once I use it all.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
my water goes through a softener, so i don't need chlorine removed.

but considering the losses when adding the last fish to my tank, i was doing some searching i stumbled upon this API Stress Coat.

i was wondering if it was another noob ripoff item like "aquarium salt" or if it is really a good product to help fish transfer easier.

thanks.

p.s. i did search forum, not hits
Conventional softeners don't remove chlorine or chloramines. If your system also has a carbon tank then possibly all chlorine in the source water is removed. If your system doesn't have a large carbon tank, then the chlorine/chloramine is still in the water after softening. This assumes there is chlorine in the pre-softened water.

Healthy fish don't need slime coat stimulated. I use prime and sodium thiosulfate solution.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
True, but too often the fish you pick up at a store are not exceptionally healthy and can be a bit roughed up from several stages of catch and release, bagging and unbagging, etc. I wouldn't think the idea is completely without merit.
Point taken Eric. The stimulant used is what I question here. Slime coat on fish is stimulated by some sort of irritant, typically.

Mark

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I went and checked it out. On their website they say it is aloe vera.

I noted above I've been using this but would probably switch to Prime once I used my supply. I might consider using Prime during normal water changes and my Stress Coat when getting new fish, particularly during the acclamation/quarantine process. Not necessary, but I would think it could be advantageous.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
softener link
http://www.ecowater.com/err-3500r20-p-6-l-en.html
i thought it did remove the chlorine

but now that you say that, i'm wondering if there is a clorine cloramine tester?
i did check my my softened water, it didn't read any ammonia or nitrite
before the softer was put in the tap water smelled like swimming pool water, so i assumed the chlorine was successfully removed.

i also have RO water, but i didn't use that for the tank. it would take me many hours to save up enough a whole tank.
that said do you think i should use RO going forward on the partial water changes?
and if so, should i use some sort of trace elements.

i did test the ph of water
ph RO = 6.6
ph soft = 7.4
ph tap = 8.2
4partRO-1partsoft = 7.2

ph tank = 7.8

p.s. discus addict login... my last tank was a 110 show tank, planted and filled with discus. wish i had it now...sold tooo cheap. about a dozen of them came from some guy who wrote a book on raising discus, i can't recall name. quarrel or something.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store