protecting the glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
I used a piece of that egg crate grill that goes over light fixtures. Easy to cut to size and it didn't take much sand to cover it.
HTH Phil

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Ditto. Seems to help displace weight fairly well, when building rock formations. The layer of sand filling in the eggcrate and covering the top by a 1/8" seems to be key in helping to displace the weight, IMHO.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I am wondering what exactly you are worried about? I have never put anything under the rocks which I dump into my aquariums when they are setup...and my tanks have never "suffered", but I'm still unclear about what your concerns are.

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
When you stack rock this cause a lot of weight to be put on a small area (pressure point) with the weight of the rocks and more importantly the weight of the water could cause the glass to crack. Since the rocks are placed on the bottom of the tank first and then the sand. Iam using slate which can be very sharp. Simply put heavy rocks can cause weak spots in the glass.

Last edited:

musky48in

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
La Crosse
Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps, but I set up a tank for africans about three weeks ago and I went to home and found this plastic mesh fence. I cut it and put three layers of it down. Then I set my rocks on top of that. Not as thick as egg stuff. I hope that works. I just figured that the tank should be able to support the weight of the rocks if it can support the weight of the water that it's displacing. I just didn't want the rocks to touch the glass.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Dean, this is why we have stands made especially for aquariums. It holds the weight and balances things evenly...as even as could be expected.

For most situations, additional support isn't needed so you should be fine with how the tank is made. Just remember to have a stand which properly supports the tank.

PS: you didnt say, how big is this aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store