Returning to hobby! :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Hi All!

I am getting back in the hobby after having broke down my 75G when I moved around 4 years ago.

Here is what I have so far and what I am waiting to purchase:

Deep Sea Aquatics - 155G 72x24x21 - built-in center overflow with 3 drains and 2 returns and a 40G Breeder Sump

I went with this size tank because I wanted a 6ft tank to have the option for more active/larger fish and I liked the 2ft width.

I was going to go with a 180G but was already at the max weight I was comfortable with for where the tank is going and I felt like the height of my 75G was good. We'll see if I regret that later on. :)

Items/Other equipment so far:

Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Sand: CaribSea - 160lbs
Rock: 200lbs Dry Rock (I am going to seed with live rock)
Skimmer: AquaMaxx CO-3
Powerheads: Jebao RW-15 (I was going to go with EcoTech MP40's but the price was just to high)

Items Pending purchase:

Heater: Eheim Jager 2x200w or 2x250w
RODI: BRS 6 Stage Universal Water Saver Plus or AirWaterIce Extreme Typhoon 3
Lights: This is where I am really torn. My LFS offers a custom hybrid LED/T5 combo which is reasonably priced but I was looking into Kessil A360W-E and Possibly the EcoTech Radio XR30W. However, since it's a 6ft tank it kind of puts me in a weird position. Initially I just plan on keeping LPS with eventually adding some SPS. Do you think I could get away with 2 Kessils?

And last but not least an Apex Controller. :)

What do you all think? I would love to hear thoughts/feedback on the direction I am going.

-Michael

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Nice size tank :)

I think you will need 3 kessil's for good coverage, or else your going to have bit of a dark zone between them. You'de get better coverage with 2 xr30's though I'd still suggest 3 too.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've used LED's from reefbreeders.com before, fairly inexpensive, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of radions though but photons include basic timer with sunrise/sunset options, and has enough output for SPS's.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like a nice setup. Nice choice on the skimmer and powerheads.

Having 3 Kessil 360Ws over a 120, I would say you definitely need 3 over a 6'x2' tank. I like the look and simplicity of the Kessils and the controller is just icing on the cake. I do believe there are better LEDs out there other than Kessil for SPS but that is jut my experience. LPS wise, you will have no problems with Kessil.

Love to see some updates and welcome back to the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store